Spaghetti Squash with Spinach and Raisins

If you’re looking for healthy recipes and you haven’t seen Cara’s blog, you should definitely check it out. I’ve had multiple opportunities to eat Cara’s food and it’s all been amazing. She creates a lot of her own recipes and it’s all healthy and delicious!

I decided that for my first shot at making spaghetti squash, I’d turn to Cara’s blog for the recipe. Hubby and I both enjoy squash but I’d never eaten, let alone cooked a spaghetti squash. I can definitely see why it became such a big rage during the Atkins craze. It has a similar texture to spaghetti. The combination of flavors in this dish is amazing. I’ll definitely be trying spaghetti squash again!

Hubby ate this as his lunch entree a couple days and really enjoyed it. I made a few changes to Cara’s recipe, but for the most part it’s the same.

One Year Ago: Creme Brulee – two ways

Print Save

Spaghetti Squash with Spinach and Raisins

Ingredients:

1 large spaghetti squash, roasted, seeds discarded
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 10oz package fresh spinach, thick stems removed
1/2 c walnuts, chopped
1/2 c raisins
1oz goat cheese, crumbled
pinch of nutmeg, salt & pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Cut off top and bottom ends of squash. Slice in half lengthwise and place onto a cookie sheet, cut side up. Roast squash for ~30 minutes until tender.

Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over low heat. Remove from heat when they are fragrant and just beginning to brown.

Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach, cover, and let cook until the spinach is wilted down, about 5 minutes.

Use two forks to remove the stringy flesh from the cooked spaghetti squash. Toss this with the spinach and onions, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the walnuts and raisins and heat through. Mix in about half of the crumbled feta, and top with the rest of the cheese to serve.

Recipe adapted from Cara's Cravings

13 Responses to “Pomegranate Cranberry Quinoa Salad”

Smitten Sugar — January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I just made Quinoa for the first time myself this week. Love the addition of pomegranate. I will have to try it out!

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love quinoa! Never tried it with these ingredients. Great recipe!

Chelsea — January 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love quinoa, especially in breakfast form! Never had it with pomegranates, yay!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Glad you liked! It’s one of my favorites. Also packages up really nicely for a healthy take-to-work lunch!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I adore quinoa because it is so healthy and so filling!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum yum yum! What a yummy looking quinoa dish! I love quinoa, so if you’re looking to find more quinoa recipes, feel free to browse my blog. 🙂

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet — January 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love the versatility of quinoa – once you start cooking with it, it’s hard to stop . . . we think it makes a great breakfast, too! Warmed with milk, fruit & a little maple syrup or agave? Energy for the day!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams — January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love a good quinoa recipe. This one sounds worth a try.

Shannon — January 21, 2011 at 1:47 am

LOVE quinoa and poms 🙂 this looks like a delicious way to enjoy both ingredients!!

Daisy — January 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

don’t worry, I am officially the last one.

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad you tried it! I love quinoa. I think it’s second to Israeli couscous in my book. And pomegranates — love them. This sounds delicious!

kitchenmisfit — January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I am surprised by the chicken stock! It seems like it should be a sweet dish. I love quinoa and my husband does too!

Cheryl — January 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I have been reading about quinoa the “superfood” and how good it is for us. I bought some awhile back but hadn’t used it so I decided to try your recipe. OMG! I love it! I didn’t have pomegranate seeds and instead of almonds I used toasted pecans and also added orange zest. I will be using quinoa a lot now. Thanks!