M&M Cookies to Celebrate Valentine’s Day

Hubby and I don’t usually celebrate Valentine’s Day. I’m not sure how that happened, but we’re both ok with it. We usually just have a nice dinner at home and some wine. No gifts, no fancy restaurants, just chillin. Even though we don’t get all romantic and mushy on Valentine’s day, I do love to bake for this holiday.

You see, my three favorite colors are red, pink, and purple. I love them all almost equally, but if I had to rank them, it’d be red first, then purple, then pink. Not pastel pink, a good hearty dark-hot-pink – like the dark pink M&Ms in the Valentine’s Day color combo. One of the reasons I love baking for Valentine’s day is that I’ll most likely be making something with one of my favorite colors. Last year I made red velvet cupcakes that I took to work. This year, I happened to grab a bag of Valentine’s Day M&Ms while I was at the store the other day.

I have a soft spot for holiday colored M&Ms. Not sure why, but I just love them. So I set out to make some M&M cookies. Now I’ve already made two versions – regular M&M cookies and chocolate M&M cookies. Both were great, but I always prefer to try new recipes.

I whipped up this batch of cookies last weekend, but didn’t want to have cookies in the house, so I baked up a dozen and froze the rest. The dozen that I baked went with me to a food photography seminar – which I still need to blog about (check out Elina’s or Kerstin’s recap).

To freeze the cookies, I just rolled them out as if I was going to bake them. Then I put them on a cake pan lined with waxed paper and threw them into the freezer. Once they were frozen, I put them all into a ziplock bag. These frozen cookies are going to some friends who just had a baby. That way the new parents can bake a couple cookies at a time for some instant comfort.

Print Save

M&M Cookies

Yield: ~3 dozen

Ingredients:

1 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
1 c shortening
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c M&Ms

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix sugar, eggs, shortening, and vanilla thoroughly. Add flour, salt, and baking soda to creamed mixture. Blend well. Add 3/4 cup of M&M candies.

Portion out some dough using a cookie scoop. Using your hands, roll into a small ball and place on cookie sheet. Slightly push a few candies on top of each dough ball with remaining candies.

Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. (13-15 if taking straight out of the freezer).

Recipe from Allrecipes.com

12 Responses to “Chewy Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I love, love, love how serious your distinction is between chewy puffy vs. chewy thin vs. crispy thin cookies. It makes me smile.

Jen — January 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Like I said, I’m weird about cookies 🙂

Cupcake Activist — January 3, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I love molasses and chocolate chip cookies. Great idea to put them together. I like chewy thin cookies.

Blog is the New Black — January 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I don’t like flat cookies, either! i like fat, soft ones! (TWSS)

Daisy — January 3, 2011 at 6:37 pm

If f anyone is entitled to be weird abotu cookies it is you. these look yummy, I’m all about flat and chewy!

Megan — January 3, 2011 at 7:36 pm

One of my co-workers makes a ginger chocolate chip cookie that I was surprised to find I liked. These seem like they’d be similar.

Shannon — January 4, 2011 at 12:13 am

sometimes responses from friends and family is all you need! there’s always the next batch for you to love 🙂

innochkaskitchen — January 4, 2011 at 2:39 am

Hmmm so I love chocolate chip cookies…and my husband LOVES molasses cookies…I wonder if this is our perfect compromise…
    Great recipe!

cookingwhims — January 4, 2011 at 2:28 pm

These look and sound amazing–I’ll have to try these 🙂

ann — January 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm

These look great. It’s hard to find a good Molasses Cookie.

Jo — January 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love these cookies because I am the worst person at remembering to take butter out to soften and with these I don’t have to worry about that. I made my first batch with milk chocolate chips and my second with butterscotch chips (since my FIL can’t have chocolate) and they were both wonderful. The 8 year old finds them too tangy – so more for me 🙂

Julsey — January 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Best. Cookies. Ever. Making them for a 2nd time today and mailing half to my friend in Colorado who desperately needs a pick me up 🙂