Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

While most people are thinking of healthy meals and exercising, I’ve been thinking of these cookies. I made these cookies a while ago and to take on a weekend trip with friends. They were a bit hit. They combine sweet and salty into every bit. The pretzel sticks in the chocolate chip cookies also give a nice little crunch.

I always use Ghirardelli bittersweet chips in my cookies because I love the size of the chips almost as much as the flavor. They’re a bit bigger but flatter than the standard Nestle chocolate chips. If you see the Ghirardelli chips in your supermarket, I definitely recommend trying them!

Print Save

Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: ~5 dozen

2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup packed dark brown sugar - I used light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups coarsely crushed pretzel sticks
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugars until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined after each. Mix in vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients into the butter mixture and beat just until incorporated. Add crushed pretzels and mix briefly to combine. Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop dough using a tablespoon cookie scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets and flatten dough balls slightly. Place into the oven and bake cookies until they are lightly golden around the edges, about 9 to 13 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cookies cool for a couple minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

14 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes”

ttfn300 — May 27, 2009 at 12:47 am

these look so fun! i, too, am LI, but i carry lactaid with me everywhere… and jp licks makes a lactose free flavor 🙂

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 12:49 am

Lactaid is my best friend. I have spare pills in the car, in Hubby’s wallet, in my purse and desk. Can’t ever be too prepared! I have had their lactose free flavors and they’re quite tasty. I wish they had more than one a month though!

Sam — May 27, 2009 at 2:43 am

Ooooh. This looks too good. I’m gonna have to try that.

Stef — May 27, 2009 at 4:23 am

I love the idea of using the cone method for ice cream cupcakes. I hadn’t thought of that. That strawberry down the middle of the cupcake is so perfect! I’m so glad you entered again!

gaga — May 27, 2009 at 5:36 am

I wouldn’t be able to live without ice cream! Your cupcakes are beautiful. Good luck in the competition!!!

Ingrid — May 27, 2009 at 4:00 pm

They look pretty! Love the photo of the cross section where you can see the strawberry.

Vegiegail — May 27, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Those cupcakes look scrumptious! Oh, and you’ve gotta try Purely Decadent made with Coconut Milk Ice Cream! It’s rich and creamy, a lot like gelatto!

Jen — May 27, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Vegiegail – I’ll have to check that out.

Sara — June 1, 2009 at 11:25 pm

So cute! These are so pretty with the strawberry in the middle and they look delicious.

paru's_circle — June 3, 2009 at 4:23 am

voted for your strawberry one..good luck!

Bethany — June 11, 2009 at 2:21 pm

gorgeous. love the inset strawberry. love the Neapolitan theme.

Shoshana — June 12, 2009 at 4:46 am

I agree with you about the non-dairy ice creams available in stores. However, If you have an ice cream maker vegan chick-0-stick ice cream is unbelievably rich, creamy and delicious.

Here is the recipe

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hey, these cupcakes sound awesome! I use to be Lactose Int., but I found the best cure ever & seriously have been L.I. cured for 7 years. I could not give up my dairy & use to take 3 Lactaid every time I ate.I heard about “Lactogen” on the radio on the way home from a trip. I would do anything to get rid of my L.I. so it was $90.00 at the time so I said what the heck I spent $200.00 a year on Lactaid. I was floored that it worked & 7 years later still no signs. I drink milk every morning, cheese everyday, & ice cream when ever. It retrains your body to except lactose, so for 42 days while you take it (a mix to drink with water) you have to stay away from all dairy & anything with dairy in it. I just went to the health food store during that time. I am sure you can find it on the web. Lactogen is the name

Karen — May 21, 2010 at 12:35 pm

This is my second post, it erased my first. But for all you suffering with Lactose Int. try Lactogen it really works I have been cured for going on 7 years now. It was only $90.00 when I tried it & I was spending $200 a year on Lactaid at the time. I now can drink milk every morning, & eat cheese every day & ice cream when ever. It is not an on going thing you take it once for 43 days & that is it.