Gooey Bars (aka Cream Cheese Bars)

I have no idea what these bars should actually be called or where this recipe really came from… It’s likely to have come on the back of a cream cheese box for all I know. (Actually, Google helped me to find this recipe which is the same). This is another recipe that my family loves. My sisters practically know this recipe by heart. Similar to the “best dang thing ever bars”, my sisters also prefer to underbake these bars, hence the name gooey bars. I tend to like my bars fully cooked so they hold their shape better. If you prefer an even gooier texture, take these out of the oven a couple minutes early.

I know some of you will shudder at the thought of using a box cake mix. I agree that in general, I would much rather make a cake/cookie/brownie from scratch. For starters, it’s a lot more fun as a baker to measure everything out and follow a recipe that has more than two steps. Not to mention knowing exactly what is in your food (and being able to pronounce it all!) I do however believe that boxed cake mix has a time and a place. One of those places being in this bar.

These bars taste almost like a cheesecake with a great chewy shortbread crust. Everyone that tried one really enjoyed them and Hubby ate an embarassingly large number of these bars.

Print Save

Gooey Bars

Yield: 30

Ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 eggs
1 pound powdered sugar
1 8-oz package cream cheese

Directions:

Mix cake mix, margarine & 1 egg with fork. Press into bottom of greased 9 x 13 pan, set aside.

Beat powdered sugar, cream cheese and 2 eggs for 4 or 5 minutes. Pour over cake mixture.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into bars.

Recipe from my step mom

Don’t forget – I’m offering a chance to win a cute tote if you donate $5 or more to my Avon Walk by the end of January. See details here.

8 Responses to “Deb’s Mom’s Apple Cake”

Megan — January 5, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I made that cake a few months back and it was awesome. It’s a good thing I don’t have any apples or else I’d make another one!

wifeplzak — January 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I have wanted to make this one for a while now, I better get on it.

bensbaby116 — January 6, 2009 at 1:43 am

Mmm, I love the smell of apple desserts baking! This looks like a great recipe. Thanks for posting. 🙂
    ~bensbaby116

Mermaid Sweets — January 6, 2009 at 2:01 am

I made this cake on Friday, and it was amazing, even though there were some problems. One, I used a silicone bundt pan because I realized too late I didn’t have a metal one, so I had to cook it forever, and in the end the inside around the cone never really cooked. I just scooped that out and the rest was delicious. Yum. P.s. Love your blog.

Joelen — January 6, 2009 at 5:17 am

Now that is an apple cake! looks delicious!

Sara Therese — January 6, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I can’t wait to try this. We’re going to Brown County this weekend, and this apple cake would be the perfect addition to the trip! Thanks for sharing!

EAT! — January 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Love all those big chunks of apple in the cake. It looks delicious!!

Acuman_dapper — April 5, 2009 at 9:33 pm

You are an amazing writer and you should contact http://www.bizymoms.com/boston/index.php to get your blog featured to their large mom community. I am sure they would love your posts. In their expert page there is a form. http://www.bizymoms.com/boston/experts.php