Cranberry, Caramelized Onion, and Goat Cheese Dip

I made this dip for a holiday gathering with Hubby’s family. The original recipe called for blue cheese, but I substituted goat cheese and it came out fantastic. The combo of sweet and tart from the caramelized onions and the cranberries was great. And it was really easy to throw together.

I mixed up the cheese layer a day in advance. Since it has to be chilled anyways, I just threw it in the fridge (covered) overnight and then made the onion/cranberry layer just prior to serving it. This dip was a big hit and was devoured by the six of us in no time flat. I served it with a variety of crackers.

Print Save

Cranberry, Caramelized Onion, and Goat Cheese Dip

8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
4-ounce package goat cheese, room temperature
1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese, room temperature
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)

In a mixer, combine the cream cheese and goat cheese. Beat until smooth. Add the cheddar cheese and mix until well incorporated. Spread into the bottom of a baking dish. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.

Heat oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Add the diced onions and saute until softened. Add sugar and mix well. Continue cooking to caramelize the onions. Lower the heat slightly and stir every few minutes. This should take about 10 minutes.

Once the onions are caramelized remove them from the skillet and set aside. Add the cranberries, water, and sugar into the skillet the onions just came out of. Stir to dissolve sugar. Turn heat up to medium and cook until cranberries pop open and are softened, ~5 minutes. Once mixture thickens, add the balsamic vinegar and return the onions to the skillet.

Stir well and then let cool.

Just prior to serving dip, spoon the cranberry mixture on top of the cheese mixture.

Recipe adapted from Blissfully Domestic

11 Responses to “Spice Apple Bars”

Amanda — January 28, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I wish I could run home & bake these right now! They look so delicious & how could you go wrong with apples & cinnamon? I can’t wait to try these soon.

Katie — January 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm

They look so good! I LOOOVE the cute apple backround too! 🙂 🙂

Joelen — January 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm

These look great!

bensbaby116 — January 28, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I made these from Katie’s blog in the fall and took them to a school function. One of my student’s dads ate several of them. A few weeks later I made chocolate chip cookies because they’re usually a hit with everyone there, and the same dad was like “awww. where are those apple bars? I was hoping for those again.” 🙂 They are truly wonderful!

Jen — January 28, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I agree! These are amazing. I send baked goods with hubby about once a week and these got so many more comments than usual. I’m actually making them again this weekend.

Megan — January 29, 2009 at 4:15 am

I saw that recipe last year, and I wish I had made them. They look so good.

Julie — January 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Free manual labor in exchange for apple bars? Sounds like a deal to me. I’ll have to offer that up next time I have to call a plumber 🙂

Stephanie Wagner — February 17, 2009 at 12:22 am

Scott made these tonight and they were AMAZING! Seriously, AMAZING!

Amanda — February 23, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I made these this weekend….they were fantastic! At 10 last night Sam had to ask me “are you still eating that apple cake?” Yes. I was. I saved one more piece for after work today!

creativecarryout — February 26, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Oh, my dad would love these. I have an apple bread recipe that he always requests. I’ll bookmark this one to try too. Thanks.

Carly — April 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I made these yesterday and think they are fabulous! So gooey, but so much better the next day! Thankyou for sharing! =)