Eggplant Parmesan

Today I’m featuring another recipe from Hubby’s mother. Hubby loves eggplant parm. It’s another one of the things his mom usually makes for us when we’re in town because she knows how much he loves it. Recently, we requested the recipe from her and Hubby made it at home all by himself.

Hubby likes to claim this is a healthy recipe since it’s vegetarian. I would not call this healthy, but it sure is delicious. Hubby used Panko bread crumbs because that’s all I keep in the house. I really this they give a much better texture than regular bread crumbs. If you wanted, you could make this with meat sauce if you feel like it needs some meat. Eggplant is a very meaty vegetables, so I think it’s fine without it.

This recipe also freezes really well. I wish I had thought of that back when we did our kitchen renovation and stocked up on frozen food. Since this makes a whole casserole dish, we ate it for leftovers all week. But if you don’t like leftovers, just portion it out into individual tupperware containers and freeze it after it has cooled completely.

Print Save

Eggplant Parmesan

Yield: 12 servings

Sauce (1 large jar or homemade)
1.5 lb. eggplant, look for long slender firm eggplant
2 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups Panko cread crumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
Cooking oil
1 lb. mozz shredded or thinly sliced
1/4 cup parmesan grated

Preheat oven to 425.

Peel eggplant and slice about 1/4 inch thick. Dip into egg and let it drip off, then into bread crumbs. Set aside on a sheet of waxed paper.

Heat a jelly roll pan with enough oil to cover the bottom in the oven. When hot, add eggplant but see sure not to over-crowd the pan. Cook until nice and brown and crispy, then turn. Drain on paper towels.

Turn oven to 400.

Layer in a 13x9 baking dish 1/3 sauce, 1/2 eggplant, 1/2 mozzarella cheese, repeat, end with last 1/3 sauce. Sprinkle parmesan on top.

Bake uncovered for 15-20 min.

Recipe from Hubby's mom

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

9 Responses to “Roasted Asparagus”

Cara — May 27, 2010 at 12:21 am

some of our faves are asparagus and brussels sprouts too 🙂

Jennifer Chung — May 27, 2010 at 2:22 am

This is the only way we eat our asparagus as well. Do people still boil asparagus? Seriously, it’s kind of a waste that way…
    Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best to share. 🙂

yumventures — May 27, 2010 at 3:35 am

One of my all time faves. Roasted anything, actually, but asparagus gets so crispy and flavorful!

Feast from Famine — May 27, 2010 at 3:41 am

We love to grill asparagus that has been rubbed with olive oil and sea salt–so good! 🙂

Sezasaurus — May 27, 2010 at 4:33 am

Hi there, I’ve been reading your blog for so long now and just wanted to say thanks for all your wonderful recipes. I’ve used so many that have been awesome and really tasty thank you so much! Keep up the good work!

Sezasaurus — May 27, 2010 at 4:35 am

p.s asparagus season is one of the highlights of our year to hehe. So many fantastic things you can do with it! Have you tried roasting it in orange juice and silvered almonds? Devine.

Jen — May 27, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Sezasaurus – Orange and almond does sound tasty! Thanks for the idea.

Elina — May 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I can’t remember if I’ve ever had roasted asparagus – roasted broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts definitely but roasted asparagus could be a new one. Sounds awesome! 🙂

Sarah — June 5, 2010 at 1:57 am

We made this last night with grilled pork chops and homemade mac and cheese. I tossed in the olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper and then probably ate 1/4 of them cold while I was waiting for the oven to heat up. Hubby and I each took a serving for our plates after they cooked and then stood in the kitchen eating the rest off the baking sheet before we had dinner! So good and so easy for our favorite veggie!