Puppy Chow

Puppy Chow is another family favorite that comes straight off the cereal box. There’s no need to mess with this classic. It combines chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. What more could you ask for? And, as an added bonus, it’s so easy to throw together and nobody can keep their hand out of the bowl!

I recommend using rice or corn chex for this recipe. They seem to be more airy. I’ve made Puppy Chow with wheat chex and it tastes fine, it’s just a bit more dense.

Print Save

Puppy Chow

Yield: 18 servings

9 cups Chex cereal
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.

In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.

Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.

Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Recipe from Chex

9 Responses to “Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto”

Joelen — September 3, 2009 at 4:24 am

This combines 2 of my husband’s loves – shrimp and cilantro! Love the ice cube trick too!

Ingrid — September 3, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Yum, I love shrimp! Hadn’t thought to flavor it with pesto. Warm crusty bread would be yummy with it!

stephchows — September 3, 2009 at 7:10 pm

OH WOW so simple and so beautiful! I need to make myself some pesto cubes for moments like these 🙂

Kerstin — September 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm

What a delicious and easy dinner! I’m lucky if I’m home by 8:30, so I completely understand needing quick recipes! I’ll have to try the frozen pesto trick.

bec — September 4, 2009 at 3:06 pm

i just made my first batch of ice cube pesto from our basil forest. neil panics every time i make pesto. he needs verification that i have not used up too much basil. if i use 10% of what is in the garden, then we are in the safety zone. let it grow back, use another 10%. at the end of the season, we will have 9000 cubes of pesto in the freezer and neil will be happy. totally jealous of your new stove, btw. i want a griddle!

Kat — September 4, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I love the frozen pesto concept! I have a lot of basil, but there are only two of us in my house and we can only eat so much. I will have to try this. The shrimp looks great.

Justin — September 11, 2009 at 12:23 am

this looks great, and it really can’t get much easier

Jori Hodgson — January 27, 2010 at 6:52 am

Hi there! Love this idea. Great job!

I was wondering where I can find pesto? Also, do you have any ideas for sides that would be good with this? I’m not familiar with pesto’s flavor and I want to surprise my husband with something 🙂 Thanks!

Jen — January 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Jori – I make my own pesto using this recipe.