Operation Baking Gals Round 15 Roundup

I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who participated in Team Beantown Baker for Operation Baking Gals Round 15. We had 16 team members sending care packages to Rebecca who is stationed in Iraq for 18 months. Rebecca should be getting all of her packages in time for the holidays. Thanks again everyone who helped make her holidays a bit brighter.

I asked the members of my team to send me any pictures or links to blog updates about their packages. I love seeing all the hard work people have put in to help make a stranger’s day. Here are some of the things that Rebecca will be receiving from our team.

Nutmeg Nanny (love that name!) sent a package that includes Butterscotch Scotchies, some Girl Scout Thin mints, and plenty of other goodies

A Little Mom-Me Time made Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies

I also got a few emails listing some of the goodies sent to Rebecca:
– Kim sent 2 boxes, including chocolate chip cookies with M&Ms, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, cinnamon bread, orange cranberry bread, a “Christmas Vacation” DVD, toiletry items, and a card and photos

– Shari sent two packages including one where she asked everyone in her cookie swap to bring extras to send to Rebecca. Some of the cookies included: Mexican wedding cookies, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter blossoms, sour cream cookies, sugar and spice cookies, sweet and spicy nuts, pretzels
– Tammy sent a box of cookies
– Keri sent a box of variations of the classic chocolate chip cookie

And finally, here is what I sent to Rebecca. One of Rebecca’s favorite cookies are peanut butter cookies. I decided to send her two versions of a peanut butter cookies. The first is the Monster Cookie. I’ve made these before and this time I just used the holiday colored M&Ms to make them more festive.

I also made some double peanut butter cookies (recipe to come soon). It’s a basic peanut butter cookie with peanut butter chips in it as well.

I also threw in a couple of my holiday favorites including some Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe Joe’s. I love these cookies! I also added a small box of mini candy canes and a holiday card that I wrote to her. I hope she enjoys all the goodies.

If I missed anyone’s information, please email me and I will update this post.

13 Responses to “My first Operation Baking Gals!”

Amy Kingman — February 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm

That’s really cool! Thanks for sharing the info. 😀

Carrie — February 20, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I did OBG last fall and enjoyed it I need to sign up again.

Jess — February 20, 2009 at 4:42 pm

thank you so much for doing this, my husband just got back from 15 months deployed!

A have a quick tip for ya- since some of the soldiers are a ways out and their mail takes sometimes 4 weeks to get there, put a piece of bread (i wrapped mine in parchment paper) in with the cookies to keep them from going stale!

Jen — February 20, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for the tip Jess. I followed the instructions on the OBG website that said that bread can sometimes mold, so instead use some apple peel. So I put some apple peel between the paper towels on the top and bottom of each container.

~Kimberly — February 20, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Great post! Thanks for sharing all the info! I hope you join us again next round! I checked with my husband about the condition of the cookies he’s been receiving. It’s been taking about a week or so to get them, and he said they all have been so fresh! They have a “community” table in the hallway and he says the homebaked goodies disappear in a flash! They are all very appreciative! Thanks again for baking! I’m craving your cookies right now!!!

Joelen — February 20, 2009 at 5:50 pm

How thoughtful of you! Your cookies all look delicious and I’m sure they will appreciate all the effort you put into them!

Jen — February 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Thanks! I definitely plan on doing it again. Next time I probably won’t send quite as many cookies. It did end up costing quite a bit more than I expected. That’s what I get for sending 20 dozen cookies I guess…

Sara Therese — February 20, 2009 at 9:32 pm

What a great way to show your support and share your talents. High five to you!

Suzy — February 20, 2009 at 11:14 pm

How thoughtful of you! I used to do this for Desert Storm, and would pack it in popcorn. Just a thought.
    Keep it Sweet,
    Suzy

Laura P. — February 21, 2009 at 12:29 am

just wanted to thank you for doing this…my husband served in Iraq for 16 months (yes you read that right). He said that receiving packages means the world to them. It will be much appreciated!

DeborahSW — February 21, 2009 at 2:54 am

What a wonderful thing to do! I bet the lucky soldier will appreciate a little sweet treat from home. 🙂

Soli Deo Gloria — February 21, 2009 at 6:00 am

You have such a generous heart! I am sure these lovely cookies will be appreciated! 🙂

Stephanie Wagner — February 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!