Chocolate Mousse

Hubby claims he’s not a big dessert guy. Or a big chocolate guy. I have a hard time believing that because no matter what I bake, he always wants a bite. But even after everything I’ve made, this chocolate mousse is one of his favorites of all time. We literally have to hide the bowl so there is enough to share with others.

Hubby’s mom makes this for every holiday that we’re home. I’ve never tried to make this, but she gave me the recipe and permission to post it on here (thanks N!)

This mousse is best the day it’s made. If you need to make it in advance, be sure to give it a good stir prior to serving.

Print Save

Chocolate Mousse

Yield: ~20 servings

Ingredients:

6 eggs, at room temp, washed with soap and water, 5 separated, 1 slightly beaten
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 lb chocolate
1/3 c powdered sugar

Directions:

Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, beat the 5 egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl, whip cream with powdered sugar.

In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate. Add the beaten egg and mix together. Beat in the egg yolks of the 5 separated eggs. Mix chocolate mixture together with whipped cream. Carefully fold in the egg whites. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.

Note, if using white chocolate, it needs to be melted with some liquor, milk, or cream.

Recipe from Hubby's mom

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

12 Responses to “S’mores Brownies”

Boston Food Diary — October 6, 2010 at 1:07 pm

whoa…I think I’m speechless! I have seen S’mores Brownies before, I have even tasted them- in well known restaurants- and these look 100% better and tastier! Well done- I might be knocking on your door for a taste!!!

vickdn — October 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm

here is another smores recipe I just saw… if you are looking for more smores recipes!

vickdn — October 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

it would help if I gave you the link…. lol enjoy!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I just saw your photos and seriously almost drooled. You never cease to amaze me Jen!

Jen — October 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

vickdn – I saw that smores biscotti this morning! Looks great.

Fun and Fearless – don’t get any drool on your monitor!

Eliana — October 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I’m not surpsied everyone at your work loved these. They look amazing!

newlywed — October 6, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Wow! These look like a great excuse to buy a kitchen torch!

Lindsay — October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yum! I love love love s’mores. I even make them in the winter using the gas stove, so this recipe is definitely going to make it on my list of ones to try 🙂

kitchenmisfit — October 10, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to make them!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:38 am

I love S’mores brownies! The combination of all the flavors, in a less messy bar form, make me smile 🙂

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:38 am

stacey — January 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I’m making them right now..It seemed that during cooking one row of my graham crackers started to rise to the surface of the brownies…and the center is still undercooked but the edges are cooked.. I hope they turn out ok…They look awesome