Chocolate Mousse

Hubby claims he’s not a big dessert guy. Or a big chocolate guy. I have a hard time believing that because no matter what I bake, he always wants a bite. But even after everything I’ve made, this chocolate mousse is one of his favorites of all time. We literally have to hide the bowl so there is enough to share with others.

Hubby’s mom makes this for every holiday that we’re home. I’ve never tried to make this, but she gave me the recipe and permission to post it on here (thanks N!)

This mousse is best the day it’s made. If you need to make it in advance, be sure to give it a good stir prior to serving.

Print Save

Chocolate Mousse

Yield: ~20 servings

Ingredients:

6 eggs, at room temp, washed with soap and water, 5 separated, 1 slightly beaten
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 lb chocolate
1/3 c powdered sugar

Directions:

Using the whisk attachment on a stand mixer, beat the 5 egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl, whip cream with powdered sugar.

In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate. Add the beaten egg and mix together. Beat in the egg yolks of the 5 separated eggs. Mix chocolate mixture together with whipped cream. Carefully fold in the egg whites. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.

Note, if using white chocolate, it needs to be melted with some liquor, milk, or cream.

Recipe from Hubby's mom

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

9 Responses to “Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes”

Connie — November 8, 2013 at 11:45 am

What a great idea to freeze the excess chipotle chiles! Much less waste, and perfectly portioned. I do freeze buttermilk in 1/2 cup increments because I never use up the whole carton when I buy it.

• beantownbaker — November 8th, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

Oh I’ve never frozen dairy before. Does it defrost well?

Connie — November 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

It does get a little curdled looking but I only use it for baking cakes. I haven’t noticed any discernible difference in texture or flavor in the resulting cakes.

• beantownbaker — November 10th, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

Good to know. I’ll have to keep that in mind because I never use the whole carton either. I tend to just make my own buttermilk with milk + vinegar but sometimes I buy it then struggle with how to use it all.

Shannon — November 9, 2013 at 9:32 am

i like adding in a not traveling to the rotation! might have to employ that one here 🙂

• beantownbaker — November 10th, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

It was seriously one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. We’ve done a variety of things on our holidays where we don’t travel.

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — November 22, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hey Jen! I JUST made these potatoes and posted them today. Alton Brown knows his stuff right? Then I saw your picture on pinterest and was like hm I wonder if that’s the same recipe…? Great minds think alike! I added green onions and bacon to mine, because, well, bacon makes everything better. Right? 🙂 Great post! http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2013/11/22/chipotle-sweet-potatoes-with-bacon/

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Bacon definitely makes everything better. Great minds do think alike!

Baked Potato Oven — January 14, 2014 at 4:02 am

I am gonna try this on coming weekend and hope its looks at least nice in the texture and in color,because i am not so good in cooking:). Anyway Looking forward to more of your yummy dishes mate!!!