Banana Bread

Now that black Friday is upon us, some people are out fighting the crowds for a great deal. Personally, I’ve never been one for shopping on black Friday. I’d rather just lounge around and enjoy my food hangover and cold turkey sandwiches.

It’s very common around our families to enjoy some foods that you can just graze on during black Friday. Banana bread, apple cake, monkey bread, or pumpkin bread are favorites of mine. Banana bread is such a classic that I feel like everyone has their own recipe. This one comes from Hubby’s Nana. Hubby grew up loving it so he loves when I make it for him.

Like most breads, this banana bread freezes wonderfully. I like to make this recipe into mini-loafs or muffins so I can freeze some. And, when blueberries are in season, I like to throw in a cup or so of blueberries as well.

Print Save

Banana Bread

Ingredients:

1 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 egg
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
dash salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add egg and beat. Add mashed bananas and mix together. Add dry ingredients and mix.

For bread: grease a loaf pan. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For muffins: line muffin tin with cupcake liners. Portion batter into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 min. Makes ~10 muffins.

Recipe from Hubby's Nana

12 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting”

SimplySweeter — May 5, 2010 at 11:56 am

Oh yum Jen! These look absolutely delicious! What a great July 4th treat…..maybe split them and serve ’em up like a Strawberry Shortcake??? Yum.

KV — May 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Hi Jen, by any chance do you remember about how many strawberries you used for the recipe and also for filling? I have maybe 10-15 strawberries at home that need to be used asap and wondered if that was enough?

Jen — May 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm

KV – Sorry I don’t. We had a big thing of strawberries in the fridge that Hubby had cut up for us to snack on. I would say it was less than a pint, but pretty close to a pint? Not really sure. Sorry I can’t be more help.

hannah! — May 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

strawberries are my favorite fruit ever! in my opinion, they always should be enjoyed fresh no matter what. even in desserts! 😀 your cupcakes look great, by the wayaoh

Cupcake Activist — May 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I’ve heard that strawberry cake doesn’t end up being that sweet, but maybe the addition of fresh strawberries on top changes things. I’m a huge strawberry fan, so I’m anxious to try this.

Jen — May 5, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Cupcake Activist – I could definitely see that the batter itself might not be that sweet. I thought they were great with the additional strawberries added in.

Kerstin — May 5, 2010 at 8:07 pm

This looks divine. I made the Sky High strawberry cake with frozen berries and I thought it was really good, but I’d like to try again with fresh ones too! Your hubby has some very luck coworkers 🙂

Brisbane Baker — May 6, 2010 at 11:12 am

Love this recipe.. infact all of your cupcake recipes. I made your Fauxtess cupcakes the other day and turned out wonderfully.. This is now on my wish list. :

We Are Not Martha — May 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm

These look so simple and beautiful! I love strawberry cake and I especially love the way the fresh strawberries look inside 🙂

Sues

Miss. Tarrah Dame — May 19, 2010 at 2:17 am

cant go wrong with strawberry…just made strawberry marscapone filled cupcakes myself! 🙂

soohyunee — May 25, 2010 at 12:01 am

I love how you frosted these cupcakes!! did you start from the inside and go out with a 1M tip?

Jen — May 25, 2010 at 12:03 am

Yes, soohyunee, to make the rosette, I started in the center and swirled around to the outside.