Baked Pork Chops with Parmesan-Sage Crust

Hubby and I love pork. Even though it’s very easy to overcook it, when you get it right, it’s amazing. I don’t often make anything like this, but I’m glad I did. It’s amazing. I double coated the pork with the bread crumbs because I like thicker breading. I also used Panko bread crumbs because I prefer the texture they provide. It’s far more crunchy than regular bread crumbs.

You could definitely play with the flavors in the breading. The sage and parmesan was delicious, so I’d say start with that and the second, third, or fourth time you make it, try a different flavor profile. I know we’ll be making this again and again.

Print Save

Baked Pork Chops with Parmesan-Sage Crust

1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread - I used Panko bread crumbs
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan (or Parmigiano-Reggiano)
1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage (or 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves)
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 large eggs
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (each about 1 inch thick)

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon wedges (optional)
Orange wedges (optional)

Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix breadcrumbs, cheese, sage and lemon peel in pie dish. Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Place flour on plate; season generously with salt and pepper. Coat pork chops on both sides with flour; shake off excess. Dip chops into eggs, then coat on both sides with breadcrumb mixture.

Melt butter with oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork chops to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer skillet with pork to oven (I double coated them - flour/egg/breadcrumbs/egg/breadcrumbs). Bake until pork chops are crisp on the outside and meat thermometer inserted into pork registers 150°F, about 20 minutes.

Transfer pork chops to plates. Garnish with lemon wedges and orange wedges, if desired, and serve.

Recipe from Alosha's Kitchen - originally from bon appétit, February 2001

14 Responses to “Oven Roasted Chickpeas”

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I was also totally inspired by the same blog post and made them with a spicy kick! These are totally addictive!

Kathy Day — February 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Noms! I love to roast chickpeas with Asparagus in the spring. It’s one of my favorite quick meals, but I still havent cooked them crispy for snacking yet…. You are now person number 5 (or more I lost count) to post these so I think they are in odred very soon!

Cathy — February 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm

looks good! I saw a recipe from the whole living magazine last week that I was going to try too.

Pyjammy Pam — February 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Okay, that is seriously spooky. I was *just* about to go look for a recipe for these (I bought a can of chickpeas a few weeks ago to make some) and up popped your blog in my google reader. Woo!

Janelovrut — February 2, 2011 at 12:50 am

Mmm, so glad everyone is loving these. And now I know what to make for my friend’s superbowl party! Thanks for the reminder!

Sarah C — February 2, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love that you use canned chickpeas for this! When I saw the title I thought “mmm, tasty, but you probably have to do dried chickpeas and blah blah blah”. But you don’t! And it’s a perfect quick use for the extra cans I have in the pantry so that I don’t have to keep making hummus. 🙂

I’ve already put some of your Super Bowl recipes on my menu for Sunday, including the mini ham & cheese sandwiches. We live in Pittsburgh and are huge Steelers fans, so we’re REALLY EXCITED!!!

Jen @ — February 2, 2011 at 2:41 am

Hope your Superbowl menu turns out great. Although I have to admit, I’ll be rooting against your team!

Shannon — February 2, 2011 at 5:21 am

love the smoked paprika 🙂

Jessica — February 2, 2011 at 5:46 am

I have yet to try these and really just need to jump in and do it! Thanks for the reminder 😉

Katie — February 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Have been meaning to make these! So yummy to snack on and crazy good for you. Need to make these soon..

Neev — February 4, 2011 at 1:17 am

Great snack. What if I am dried chickpeas not canned. Does it need to be soaked overnight?

Lisa @Karma Per Diem — February 4, 2011 at 1:29 am

How interesting! I love chickpeas and am going to make these this weekend! Thanks!

Jen @ — February 4, 2011 at 2:05 am

Neev – I’m really not sure how to do this with dried chickpeas. I’ve only used canned. I would assume you would want to soak them overnight first.

Pyjammy Pam — March 30, 2011 at 11:26 am