Banana Split Cupcake

Cupcake Hero is BACK! This is one of the first blogging events I ever participated in. After a 9-month or so hiatus, CB has brought it back for all of us cupcake fans out there. This month’s ingredient is banana, which was a shocking selection since CB does NOT like banana. I struggled all month to think of a creative use of banana in a cupcake. Finally, on a restless night, I came up with this idea.

As you know, a classic Banana Split has a split banana, vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream, topped with pineapple, strawberry, and chocolate. Then the whole thing is topped with chopped nuts, whipped cream, and of course a cherry.

These cupcakes are so freaking cute! I can’t wait to make them again. They taste just like a banana split with the added bonus of having some cake in it! I opted to leave the nuts and whipped cream out, but you could definitely add those if you wanted to.

First I started with some Martha Stewart yellow buttermilk cupcakes. They are my current go-to white cupcake. Although the recipe makes a TON of cupcakes! Then I used my round cookie cutter to cut out the center of the cupcake.

Next I added a slice of banana.

On top of that I added some mushed up strawberries. You could also use strawberry ice cream topping, but I just took some frozen strawberries, thawed them out, put them in a ziplock bag and mushed them by hand.

Then I topped the strawberry with another banana slice. At this point I realized I wouldn’t need the top of the cupcake that I had cut out. So I ate it. Tasty!

For the frosting, I used the pineapple cream cheese frosting that I’ve made tons of times, except I bumped up the amount of pineapple in it. Then I got it really cold by putting it in the freezer for about an hour so that I could scoop it with my cookie scoop to make it look like ice cream.

Next I drizzled some pourable chocolate ganache over the top of the frosting.

Lastly I topped with a cherry.

I wanted to do a shot of the inside of the cupcake. It’s quite messy in there, but that is definitely the way a banana split looks after you take the first bite.

21 Responses to “Coconut Almond Cake with Blackberry Lime Curd”

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I am really very terrible at frosting/decorating cake :\ This came out way better than anything I could make!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Ha – I’m pretty bad too. That’s why I love putting stuff on the sides. Coconut does a good job of hiding my sloppy decorating skills.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 21, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Coconut and almond, you’ve already got me reeled in 🙂 two of my favorite flavors rolled into what looks like a moist, fluffy cake. YUM

Natalie @ Once Upon a Cutting Board — March 21, 2013 at 6:57 pm

This cake looks so beautiful and the texture is perfect! I love curd as a filling between cake layers but i never knew the trick for preventing it from seeping out – thanks!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Yea, it’s definitely very helpful. Even more so when you ACTUALLY do it 😉

Megan — March 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

We’ve all had those cake experiences. It looks like it turned out well in the end! And it sounds delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I think it’s easy to get wrapped up in thinking we all need to project that all of our baking/cooking endeavors are hugely successful…

Ashley — March 21, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Regardless of any kitchen mishaps, this cake looks divine! Layer cakes always look so special, and the addition of fruit here makes me swooooon!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I agree. Layer cakes always look special 🙂

Michelle — March 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

Oh this looks amazing. And aren’t we all our own worst critics when we bake? I can’t tell you how many times I say something is terrible and my husband looks as me like I’m crazy.

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

I agree. At the end of the day, it tasted delicious and no one knew about all the issues I had with the cake. I did want to keep it real on the blog and not give anyone any false sense that things are always easy for me…

Erica @ In and Around Town — March 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I always shy away from layer cakes – yours always come out well, I need some more practice I think! Your “mistakes” are great learning points – did not know about the frosting damn, but it makes so much sense!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

That’s why I wanted to talk about them. I definitely could have posted about this cake without mentioning any of the issues I had. I’m hoping they’ll help someone (myself included) to learn something for the next time they tackle a layer cake. Yours will definitely improve with practice. Mine surely are. I really want to make that coconut cake you just posted!

Shannon — March 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

i’m always hard on myself too, but you wouldn’t know by the taste i’m sure! looks absolutely wonderful, not to mention i’m drooling over the flavor combo 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

I agree, I think we all are. I wanted to keep it real with this post in case anyone else found it to be a difficult set of recipes…

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — March 23, 2013 at 4:18 am

Yum, your cake looks so delicious and I really love the sound of the blackberry lime curd!

Laura Dembowski — April 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I love coconut cake, and blackberries are my favorite fruit. Such a great idea to put them together. This cake is gorgeous! I would happily take a large slice . . . or maybe the whole thing 😉

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2013 @ 10:02 am

Then you would definitely love this cake!

Kristina Koranek — August 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Could anyone post the blackberry lime curd recipe? The link is no longer working.

Thanks!