Banana Split Cupcake

Cupcake Hero is BACK! This is one of the first blogging events I ever participated in. After a 9-month or so hiatus, CB has brought it back for all of us cupcake fans out there. This month’s ingredient is banana, which was a shocking selection since CB does NOT like banana. I struggled all month to think of a creative use of banana in a cupcake. Finally, on a restless night, I came up with this idea.

As you know, a classic Banana Split has a split banana, vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream, topped with pineapple, strawberry, and chocolate. Then the whole thing is topped with chopped nuts, whipped cream, and of course a cherry.

These cupcakes are so freaking cute! I can’t wait to make them again. They taste just like a banana split with the added bonus of having some cake in it! I opted to leave the nuts and whipped cream out, but you could definitely add those if you wanted to.

First I started with some Martha Stewart yellow buttermilk cupcakes. They are my current go-to white cupcake. Although the recipe makes a TON of cupcakes! Then I used my round cookie cutter to cut out the center of the cupcake.

Next I added a slice of banana.

On top of that I added some mushed up strawberries. You could also use strawberry ice cream topping, but I just took some frozen strawberries, thawed them out, put them in a ziplock bag and mushed them by hand.

Then I topped the strawberry with another banana slice. At this point I realized I wouldn’t need the top of the cupcake that I had cut out. So I ate it. Tasty!

For the frosting, I used the pineapple cream cheese frosting that I’ve made tons of times, except I bumped up the amount of pineapple in it. Then I got it really cold by putting it in the freezer for about an hour so that I could scoop it with my cookie scoop to make it look like ice cream.

Next I drizzled some pourable chocolate ganache over the top of the frosting.

Lastly I topped with a cherry.

I wanted to do a shot of the inside of the cupcake. It’s quite messy in there, but that is definitely the way a banana split looks after you take the first bite.

9 Responses to “Rocky Ledge Bars”

Cara — March 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I’d love to have one of those for breakfast right about now 🙂 Can’t wait to see what else is in store this week!

yumventures — March 22, 2010 at 1:06 pm

These look amazing and delicious! I have never made bars, but I love eating them! I can’t wait to see the rest of your recipes, and I’m sure they will inspire me to make some bars of my own 🙂

Sara — March 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm

These look great! They’ve got a little bit of everything.

KV — March 22, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Yummm. I’m excited to see what else you post this week – I always make bars instead of individual cookies, so much easier!

ErinsFoodFiles — March 22, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Those bars will always have a special place in my heart, because that’s what I debuted my blog’s new look with! Plus… they are just insanely delicious!

Looks great!

Julie — March 23, 2010 at 1:02 am

I can’t even begin to tell you what I’d give for one of those right now!

Kelly — March 23, 2010 at 11:35 am

Those look delicious and definitely something my hubby would love. I’ve been in a baking funk lately and will have to try these this week.

On another note…since you’ve changed your blog around a bit, it’s taking a very long time to load. Is it just me that’s having this problem?

Jen — March 23, 2010 at 11:39 am

Thanks for letting me know Kelly. I haven’t heard that from anyone else. I use Google Chrome and it doesn’t seem to have any issues, but I’ll definitely look in to it.

booksncooks — April 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm

These were great using up all the random baking goods in my kitchen. Wonderful recipe!