Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam

I decided to try my hand at something new. I wanted to step outside my comfort zone and do something I’ve never done. That’s what inspired me to join steph chows Jam Exchange. The concept is simple. Everyone who signs up will make 2 pints of jam and send it to someone else. What a great way to try new things!

I started looking for jam recipes that sounded good. Hubby’s mom’s boyfriend, J, had given us some of his famous peach jam for Christmas last year, so that was my first thought (he also made the wonderful strawberry jam that I used in my Harry Potter Cupcakes). I didn’t want to try to compete with his peach jam, so I was looking for a recipe with a twist. This recipe definitely has the twist I was looking for. It adds bourbon and vanilla bean to a simple peach jam.

I finally rounded up all my supplies and set off to make jam. Man did I dirty a lot of pots and pans in this process. It’s not too difficult, even without all the proper supplies. I’ve marked up the recipe below to reflect what I did. I was really worried that my jars didn’t seal properly because they were just sitting on the bottom of my big stock pot instead of on a rack which would allow the boiling water to be around them completely, but as they were cooling, I heard them pop one at a time.

So how is it? Well the day after I made it, Hubby ate peach jam in a bowl for dessert. And we had cupcakes in the house. It’s basically awesome and we agreed we like it better than J’s famous peach jam (sorry J). I love the specks from the vanilla bean and it has just a very subtle bourbon flavor. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a peach jam recipe. And some lucky food blogger is going to get a jar of mine!

Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam – Makes about 18 4-oz jars – I got 7 8-oz jars
Before you begin this recipe either wash jars in the dishwasher on the extra hot water cycle, or wash them with hot soapy water and boil them for 10 minutes, leaving them on dry or in the boiling water until you need them for your jam. This sterilizes the jar and lengthens the shelf life of your jam. I just ran them through the dishwasher on the hot cycle.

1 package low sugar pectin - I used Sure-Jell for less or no sugar needed recipes (the pink box)
3.5 pounds peaches - this was 9 peaches for me, I just weighed them at the store
4.5 cups sugar (check the pectin package for exact measurements–the instructions differ slightly depending on the brand of pectin). - I used 3 cups sugar because the peach jam recipe that came with my pectin said 3 cups
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 vanilla bean, cut into 1/4-inch pieces – I used 1 whole vanilla bean, cut in 1/2 lengthwise then cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup bourbon - I used Jim Beam
1 teaspoon almond extract

Blanch the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds, (then submerse in an ice bath) then slip off the skins. Chop the peaches into 1/4 inch dice, removing the pits.

Put the peaches, sugar, lime juice, and vanilla bean into a large non-reactive pot (stainless is good). Mash the peaches with a potato masher, until they are your desired consistency. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. The sugar was completely dissolved by the time the mashing was done. Next time, I think I’d mash as I added peaches to the pot instead of waiting until the end. It wasn’t easy to do.

Over medium-high heat and bring the peach mixture to a rolling boil, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Boil for 1 minute, then add the pectin. Bring the jam to a rolling boil once more, stirring constantly, and boil exactly 1 minute.

Remove the jam from heat. Stir in the bourbon and extract, remove vanilla pods, ladle the hot jam into jars, and screw on the lids. Then set the jars on a rack in a large pot of boiling water–the water should be 1 inch above the jar tops. I just used my big pot stock and put the jars in, made sure they were under an inch of water and turned it on high.

Bring the water to a gentle boil and boil the jars for 10 minutes. Then remove the jars from the hot water and set aside to cool.

When the jam is cold, check the seals on the jars by pressing on the centers of the lids. If the lids do not spring back, they are vacuum sealed and the jam can be stored at room temperature. Another way to check is to remove the ring and try to lift the lid. If it lifts up, it wasn’t sealed properly. I read that you can reprocess jars at that point, but off of mine were sealed. If the lid flexes, there is no seal, so store the jar in the freezer or refrigerator instead.

Don’t forget to enter in my 2nd blogiversary giveaway by midnight on August 13th!

Bourbon on Foodista

Bookmark and Share

22 Responses to “Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam”

thecookingnurse — August 7, 2009 at 1:17 pm

What a neat exchange! Your jam flavor sound delish!

stephchows — August 7, 2009 at 1:43 pm

oh YUMMMM!!! I love the color!! Peach with vanilla… I think I need to go peach picking this weekend :) As for your Q I’ll answer it here and on my blog. The reason there is no pectin is because raspberries naturally have a very high level of it in them, when I make my raspberry jam (posted yesterday) I only use raspberries and sugar, that’s it! And it gels up without any problem :) As for processing, I say jar it up and boil the jars for 10 minutes and then let them cool overnight like normal. Can’t wait to hear how it tastes!

Jen — August 7, 2009 at 2:16 pm

That makes sense about the raspberries having pectin in them. Thanks for the help for a jam newbie!

Danielle Hawes — August 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Ohhh I want to make this!!

nutmegnanny — August 7, 2009 at 9:29 pm

What a yummy jam! I bet it taste amazing:)

Kevin — August 8, 2009 at 12:48 am

I really like the sound of a peach jam with vanilla bean and bourbon!

Jessica Segarra — August 10, 2009 at 2:56 am

One day soon I really really want to make my own Jam! Yours looks fabulous!

Kerstin — August 11, 2009 at 4:18 am

Wow, what an amazing flavor combo, I’m completely impressed you made your own jam – it looks fabulous!

Anna — August 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Thank you for the inspiration, it came out yummy!

Christine — September 10, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Hello Jen! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. This is a actually cool Vanilla Peach Bourbon Jam recipe. Keep it up and I may see you on Food Network one day. By the way, did you know you can place more Foodista widget? A friend of mine placed proper Foodista widget at the end of her latest blogs and the numbers of her readers increased. Interesting isn’t it?

Squeaky — October 3, 2010 at 7:09 pm

It’s too late for peaches (I made a batch of this with peaches, and wanted to make a second, but I waited too long), so I tried asian pears. It’s a little boozier tasting, but delicious!

Dave — July 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Just made this with some fantastic peaches. Wow, winning recipe.

Amy — June 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I made this jam last summer. My family has been begging for more. This is their all time favorite jam that I made. Can’t wait till the peaches are ripe to mix up a few batches. Thank you!!!

• beantownbaker — June 11th, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

So glad you enjoyed the recipe. I make this jam every year when peaches are in season.

Aurora — August 6, 2013 at 11:56 am

Just made this, and OMG is it good!! I used southern comfort, and scraped the seeds out of my vanilla bean into the jam. One of the best jams I have ever made! Thanks for the recipe! I put the used vanilla bean into 8oz of southern comfort, might be good in a couple of weeks! Just cant bear to throw away the rest of the vanilla bean.

• beantownbaker — August 6th, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

So glad you enjoyed this! It’s one of my favorite jam recipes ever.

Denise — August 28, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hi! Can’t wait to try this jam! Is there a reason you used low-sugar pectin instead of regular?

• beantownbaker — August 28th, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

That’s what the recipe called for. In general, when it comes to pectin, I follow the recipe and don’t deviate from what it says…

Gatorman — October 29, 2013 at 6:17 pm

This recipe sounds great! I have to go out for a liquor run tomorrow(Son getting married) and peaches are still in the stores. I was looking for a good(and different) peach jam recipe. Thanks!

• beantownbaker — October 29th, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

This is one of my favorite jam recipes. I make it every year at the end of summer while peaches are really ripe here in the midwest!

Brighid45 — July 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

This is a fantastic recipe! Made it last year and the first batch disappeared so fast, two more got made right away :) I’m just about to start on this year’s first batch. My only suggestion would be this: if you’re using a stockpot for canning the half-pints/pints and not a water-bath canner, put some butter knives on the bottom of the pot so the jars don’t make direct contact with the floor. The knives act in the same way as a rack does, to reduce the chance that a jar might crack or even break.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:21 pm