Harry Potter Cupcakes

Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to check out my other Harry Potter treats: More Harry Potter Cupcakes, Butterbeer, and Golden Snitch Cake Pops.

A big group of friends decided to go see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in IMAX. Hubby and I are both big HP fans (ok, maybe it’s really just me and I drag him along to this stuff… He’s not the one with the HP theme ringtone… although he did read all 7 books too… In fact we had to buy two #7s because neither of us wanted to wait for the book…) and we already saw the movie when it first came out. But it wasn’t released in IMAX until the end of July. I don’t know if it’s marketing genius or what, but I guess their ploy worked on us because if it had come out in IMAX at the beginning, we probably would have only gone to see it once… But I digress… Since we had such a large group, we decided to get there early to get seats together. And since we’d be standing/sitting around for a while, I thought I’d bring some cupcakes.

I wanted to decorate them with Harry Potter objects and decided to make some chocolates to put on top of the cupcakes. The process itself is quite simple. First, I made a stencil on my computer and printed it out. I taped some wax paper over the printout so the paper wouldn’t move. Then I melted some chocolate and yellow Wilton candy melts in a disposable piping bag. I snipped off the end and began piping.

As you can see I don’t have a perfectly steady hand, but I think they look good. For the snitch wings, I piped the chocolate, then put some sprinkles on the waxed paper, then piped the yellow.

For the H and P, first I downloaded the Harry Potter font from DaFont.com. The first time I printed my stencil I forgot to make a mirror image of the letters. Since I wanted the smooth side to be showing on top of the cupcakes, I needed to have that mirror image. Once I got that all straightened out, I would pipe a small amount of chocolate onto the thicker parts of the letter. I then used a toothpick to do the detail work. It was a bit time consuming to say the least!

When I went to take the H & P letters off the waxed paper, they were too fragile to stay together. So in a last second decision, I used the yellow candy melts to make a big ole circle around the HP. I think they looked great, but wished I would have thought of that first because I would have made my H a little closer to the P. I used my round cookie cutters (see Dad, they’re really useful!) to make the circle of yellow chocolate over the HP.

I decided to just make chocolate and white cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I love filling cupcakes, so I filled them with some homemade strawberry jam that Hubby’s mom’s boyfriend gave us recently (it’s AMAZING!). Since I hate making recipes more than once, I decided to try a new chocolate and a new white cupcake recipe. I decided to go with Martha’s one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe and the Billy’s vanilla cupcake recipe from my Top 10 list. The chocolate cupcakes were great and I love the idea of only dirtying one bowl!

I found the vanilla cupcakes to be a bit fussy. The batter tastes amazing, but I used my ice cream scoop as usual, and they were too full and spilled over and made the weird flat cookie look on top of the cupcakes. I think I’m still on the hunt for a great fool-proof vanilla cupcake recipe.

I’m not going to copy the recipes here, they’re out on the Internet hundreds of times. Here are links to Martha Stewart’s One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes and Billy’s Vanilla cupcakes (another Martha Stewart recipe). I frosted the cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Don’t forget to enter in my 2nd blogiversary giveaway by midnight on August 13th!

19 Responses to “Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting”

Megan — January 13, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’ll take any leftovers! They sound amazing. I keep saying dessert recipes with bacon and bookmarking them, but I haven’t tried any yet. Adding this one to the list now too. 🙂

ann — January 13, 2011 at 5:07 pm

These look so terrific. I love the flavor combinations!

Blog is the New Black — January 13, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I’m intrigued!

KV — January 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

interesting! I have a recipe for chocolate bacon fudge or maybe pb bacon fudge but I’m afraid to try it

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm

The frosting sounds amazing. I honestly still can’t bring myself to get behind bacon in desserts. Maybe someday I’ll try a bacon cupcake if I’m given one though. 🙂 I can only resist so long.

Jennifer — January 13, 2011 at 6:08 pm

YUM! These look so good! I haven’t tried the bacon / sweet combo yet, but I’m sure I would love it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This looks delicious but I’ve got to ask….what is a pirate party?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Fun and Fearless – It’s exactly like it sounds… Everyone dresses up as a pirate (or something related – Hubby and I went as Treasure maps last year). They even hire this guy who looks like Captain Jack Sparrow to come and there’s a prize for best costume. One of the best parties of the year!

Cupcake Activist — January 13, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Sounds great! The problem I’ve seen with bacon is that sometimes it is chewy in cupcakes. That’s not good. I like that this recipe says to cook until crispy. Extra crispy for me!

Laura and Alex — January 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

My favorite candy bar is bacon chocolate!!! I can’t wait to try this 🙂

Carrie — January 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Wow, those look and sound amazing!

Shannon — January 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm

oh yum. after putting bacon in last years cookies this might need to be next 🙂

Corrine — January 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I’m so curious to try bacon in baked goods, but do you think turkey bacon would work?

Jen — January 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Corrine – I’m sure turkey bacon would work if you could get it nice and crispy. I’ve heard that if the bacon isn’t super crispy, it has a really weird chewy texture in baked goods.

Corrine — January 14, 2011 at 2:11 am

Thanks Jen! I’m going to give it a try!

Evan Thomas — January 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

This has just about everything that I would want to go together. Awesome recipe!

Medifast Coupons — January 14, 2011 at 4:10 pm

This is certianly a unqiue mixture of tastes and textures, but it comes together nicely. Definatly a must try!

darcyeats — January 14, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Chocolate..caramel…bacon…PERFECTION.
    I am infatuated with the perfect smoky/salty addition of bacon into sweet baked goods. So delicious. Of course, I’m kind of a fan of adding bacon into just about anything.
    Great pics, def wanna try these out!

kitchenmisfit — January 16, 2011 at 1:01 am

Sorry the cupcakes didn’t turn out like you wanted. Have you ever tried the bacon/chocolate cupcake at Cherry Bomb Bakery in Brighton? They are fantastic!