Harry Potter Cupcakes

Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to check out my other Harry Potter treats: More Harry Potter Cupcakes, Butterbeer, and Golden Snitch Cake Pops.

A big group of friends decided to go see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in IMAX. Hubby and I are both big HP fans (ok, maybe it’s really just me and I drag him along to this stuff… He’s not the one with the HP theme ringtone… although he did read all 7 books too… In fact we had to buy two #7s because neither of us wanted to wait for the book…) and we already saw the movie when it first came out. But it wasn’t released in IMAX until the end of July. I don’t know if it’s marketing genius or what, but I guess their ploy worked on us because if it had come out in IMAX at the beginning, we probably would have only gone to see it once… But I digress… Since we had such a large group, we decided to get there early to get seats together. And since we’d be standing/sitting around for a while, I thought I’d bring some cupcakes.

I wanted to decorate them with Harry Potter objects and decided to make some chocolates to put on top of the cupcakes. The process itself is quite simple. First, I made a stencil on my computer and printed it out. I taped some wax paper over the printout so the paper wouldn’t move. Then I melted some chocolate and yellow Wilton candy melts in a disposable piping bag. I snipped off the end and began piping.

As you can see I don’t have a perfectly steady hand, but I think they look good. For the snitch wings, I piped the chocolate, then put some sprinkles on the waxed paper, then piped the yellow.

For the H and P, first I downloaded the Harry Potter font from DaFont.com. The first time I printed my stencil I forgot to make a mirror image of the letters. Since I wanted the smooth side to be showing on top of the cupcakes, I needed to have that mirror image. Once I got that all straightened out, I would pipe a small amount of chocolate onto the thicker parts of the letter. I then used a toothpick to do the detail work. It was a bit time consuming to say the least!

When I went to take the H & P letters off the waxed paper, they were too fragile to stay together. So in a last second decision, I used the yellow candy melts to make a big ole circle around the HP. I think they looked great, but wished I would have thought of that first because I would have made my H a little closer to the P. I used my round cookie cutters (see Dad, they’re really useful!) to make the circle of yellow chocolate over the HP.

I decided to just make chocolate and white cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I love filling cupcakes, so I filled them with some homemade strawberry jam that Hubby’s mom’s boyfriend gave us recently (it’s AMAZING!). Since I hate making recipes more than once, I decided to try a new chocolate and a new white cupcake recipe. I decided to go with Martha’s one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe and the Billy’s vanilla cupcake recipe from my Top 10 list. The chocolate cupcakes were great and I love the idea of only dirtying one bowl!

I found the vanilla cupcakes to be a bit fussy. The batter tastes amazing, but I used my ice cream scoop as usual, and they were too full and spilled over and made the weird flat cookie look on top of the cupcakes. I think I’m still on the hunt for a great fool-proof vanilla cupcake recipe.

I’m not going to copy the recipes here, they’re out on the Internet hundreds of times. Here are links to Martha Stewart’s One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes and Billy’s Vanilla cupcakes (another Martha Stewart recipe). I frosted the cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Don’t forget to enter in my 2nd blogiversary giveaway by midnight on August 13th!

35 Responses to “Homemade Ding Dongs or Ring Dings or whatever you call them”

SimplySweeter — May 24, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Jen, I think I just died and went to heaven! Long live the Ring Ding!! LOL

Cara — May 24, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Love this theme, so fun! The whole menu sounds delicious 🙂

Jane — May 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Hi Jen,
    Wow! These babies look really authentic. I’ve seen a lot of faux Ding Dongs in my day, and yours rank right up there. Very nice job!
    🙂 Jane

bridget {bake at 350} — May 24, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Oh, I LOVE Ding Dongs!!! And yours look fabulous!

roxan — May 24, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Even at 8a on a monday morning, I feel like I could eat a whole stack of those. Great job, they look delicious!

Kasey — May 24, 2010 at 7:11 pm

There is a local baking partnership here in the Los Angeles area that makes individual sized cakes and treats. They also recreate classic favorites such as the Ho-Ho. Thought you might enjoy the link. http://www.cakemonkey.com/

Memória — May 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Oh your Ding Dongs look perfect. Absolutely perfect!! They make me want to jump up and make them now. Goodness!! Thanks for sharing the photos and recipe with us. I’ve yet to make the 7-minute frosting, so I’m looking forward to that.

Katherine — May 24, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Oh my, what a great recipe!

Kara — May 24, 2010 at 11:31 pm

You’re killing me! Now I have to think about when I can fit Ring Dings into my schedule this week! They’d be so much better from scratch than they would out of the box…

ellysaysopa.com — May 25, 2010 at 1:15 pm

These & oatmeal creme pies were my absolute favorite as a kid. I think they were called King Dons when I ate them. I definitely need to try this!

oneordinaryday — May 25, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Oh, how fun. WIsh I had a couple right now.

Ingrid — May 29, 2010 at 1:44 am

Ring Dings! :)But that’s what they were called when Drake’s made them and we lived in NYC. Once we moved to FL they were Ding Dongs. Or do I have that backwards, hmm now I’m not exactly sure. Either way it wasn’t I that ate them but my Mom. I’ll have to give them a whirl for her and score some brownie points, hee-hee!

Hope you have a safe and Happy Memorial Day weekend!
    ~ingrid

hannah! — May 29, 2010 at 3:44 pm

omigosh YUM!! they sure do remind me of hostess cupcakes

Katherine — July 4, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Your ding dongs look perfect! Great job!

I’ve been thinking of making these for my mother for her birthday next week…but since she LOVE chocolate peanut butter, I thought I would fill the cakes with a peanut butter version of the white cream. Any suggestions on what peanut butter cream I should fill them with??

I would love your input, I trust you more than myself in this matter, haha.

GadgetGirl — January 4, 2011 at 8:22 pm

FYI for anyone interested, I made mine into cupcakes since I don’t have round cake pans. The cupcakes take about 25 minutes to bake at the same temp. Really good but tons of work! Oh yeah I got 32 cupcakes using 1/4 cup batter in each cup. I had plenty of filling but I had to made a little more ganache, BUT I was a little heavy with it in the beginning so if you keep that in mind you could have enough.

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) — January 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Love these…I am an East Coat gal and I knew what you meant lol! I will NOT buy these for my kids with what is used for ingredients, but you have inspired me to make them! Thanks!

Carol — February 12, 2012 at 2:35 am

Sorry to say but mine fell apart and it was entirely to much work. Much better to just go to the store and buy them.

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 5, 2013 at 7:26 pm

These look just like the original, but I bet they’re so much more tasty. Great job!

• beantownbaker — January 5th, 2013 @ 11:44 pm

They sure are better than the original – a lot more work though, but definitely worth it!

Anna — January 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

Can the coffee be substitutes with anything else?

• beantownbaker — January 17th, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

The coffee just enhances the chocolate flavor. You can just use water instead if you don’t have any coffee or don’t like coffee.

jennifer — February 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I just made these for my mothers birthday(ring dings are the only dessert she enjoys) they came out great! Awesome recipe

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

So glad you enjoyed them. Happy birthday to your mother!

Kathy — February 21, 2013 at 1:51 pm

hey.. made these.. testing recipes for a summer camp job I start this June.. so good, but might stick with cupcakes for kids..
    took cake chunks and extra frosting.. made cake balls! Rolled in melted peanut butter then dripped chocolate over… YUM… love your site.. looking for more camp ideas.. kid friendly!

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2013 @ 10:28 am

Cupcakes definitely would be less messy for kids. I really like the portability of bars and brownies. I have tons of those on my blog too.

Making cake balls with PB and chocolate on top sounds amazing!

Carmen — July 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Never had these before but look good! I might just use the whole cake and cut out rings with the cutter and fill them up in the whole cake then cover in choc. What if you put marshmallow filling? Do you think it would be to soft to cut into pieces of cake?

Virginia — August 3, 2013 at 9:26 pm

OMG Jen, just saw this recipe linked from HuffPo article! Sorry, can’t get the link on my phone. 🙁 Slide show on manufactured foods that taste better homemade.

• beantownbaker — August 4th, 2013 @ 6:43 pm

Thanks for letting me know! I found the post.

Trisha — August 26, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Amazing results. Rarely do I find the recipes that claim to be “just like” the original actually live up to those claims. This one did. LOVE.

• beantownbaker — August 27th, 2013 @ 7:58 am

So glad you enjoyed them!

Jody — March 13, 2014 at 2:00 pm

The recipe says to use filling same day. I need to make the cakes a day or 2 ahead of party. If I fill them right away, will they hold for a day or so in the refrigerator ? I don’ t want them to get soggy.

Chaya — October 22, 2014 at 9:44 am

Can these be frozen?

Lynmarie — January 26, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Made these for a friend’s birthday party. Definitely time intensive…assembly took me forever. I made 16 cupcakes and 24 mini-cupcakes and had lots of extra cake batter. The cake is amazing, super moist and flavorful…but fally-aparty so hard to work with when dipping in ganache or spreading ganache over it. After I spent hours making these, they ended up smashed together in one side of the pan that I packed them in to the party. i would highly recommend transporting them in a cupcake tin or something where they will not move. The ganache never “dried” for me so mine were gooey on the outside too, and pretty much a mess to eat. Don’t get me wrong, they taste amazing and everyone enjoyed eating them…but if I was to do it over again, I would just use the ingredients to make a cake.

Kimberly Westervelt — March 31, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Do you have to use hot coffee? Can you just use plain hot water.

Colleen — May 7, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I don’t know what happened. I made Red Velvet “Fwinkies” (fake Twinkies), but covered them with chocolate so basically a hybrid or a Fwinkho. I have a delectovals pan. After piping in the 7-minute frosting, I dipped the bottoms in melted chocolate to seal and then covered the top in chocolate. The next day, I took them to a sorority luncheon as a treat. Well, the cream filling disappeared and I have to wonder did sealing the bottoms with the warm melted chocolate basically disintegrate the cream filling? I want to make something like this for a gender reveal next week, but I may have to change up the cream filling because I can’t leave the bottoms bare. Any advice?