Square Cake Balls

My sisters and I were at Michaels grabbing supplies to make cake balls (which I’ve already blogged about. twice.) That’s where we saw the Wilton square brownie pan. We were discussing how silly it would be to buy the pan just to make square brownies. Wouldn’t it be easier to just make brownies as usual in a pan and then cut them? Maybe people have issues cutting straight? The only reason we could think to actually make brownies in this pan would be to get the crusty goodness of the edges in every brownie. Then we decided we could use the pan to make square cake balls.

So on a whim, I bought the pan we had just been ridiculing. But it did make some nice looking square cake balls.

We cheated on these because we just used a cake that my family had bought to celebrate my birthday. For some reason none of us were in the mood for cake (maybe because my sister had made about 12 dozen cookies the night before), so we figured the ratio of cake to frosting would probably be about right for cake balls.

Here’s my beautiful cake. And, no it doesn’t belong on Cake Wrecks, that’s what they asked to be written on it. All of my siblings and I have nicknames for each other. Most of them are just the name followed by i-poo. So my nickname is Jenn-i-poo. Except you say it with a French sort of accent. Anyways, that’s my cake that we smashed up (with our hands!) to make the insides of the cake balls.

We then filled the square brownie pan with the cake mixture and popped it in the freezer to let the mix set. Then we popped the squares out and dipped them in almond bark and decorated with sprinkles. It was a fun afternoon in the kitchen. We sent most of these guys to work with my mom and her coworkers couldn’t believe they were homemade.

Bookmark and Share

11 Responses to “White Chocolate Cranberry Mousse”

theblogisthenewblack — October 27, 2010 at 11:44 am

Love any type of mousse- esp if it’s pink!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — October 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Love the pink! So cute and it looks and sounds delicous! Thanks!

Boston Food Diary — October 27, 2010 at 2:10 pm

This looks so wonderful! I never would have thought of cranberries and white chocolate together- you are so right-what a great option for Thanksgiving!

Cupcake Activist — October 27, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Great idea! I am always in charge of dessert for Thanksgiving and this would be perfect to add to the line-up.

Megan — October 27, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I know you said lighter dessert idea, but I’m picturing a cranberry mousse tart with dark chocolate drizzled on top!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 27, 2010 at 8:31 pm

This looks delicious! Also, can I ask…what kind of backdrop do you shoot your photos on? It is so clean and really highlights the food at hand!

Jen — October 27, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Rachel – For the majority of my photographs, I use 12″x12″ scrapbooking pages. I have a bg folder with all my pages in them. I have been using a lot of solid colors recently. I have to admit I love how the blue background really makes the pink mousse pop in these pics!

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 27, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Lovin’ the cranberryness here!

Nutmeg Nanny — October 28, 2010 at 3:17 am

Love the pinkness and love the recipe!

oneordinaryday — October 31, 2010 at 11:51 am

This sounds delicious, and I love how that beautiful pink color just pops. Definitely going on my menu!!

Eliana — November 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm

This mousse looks divine! I could not be trusted around it.