Square Cake Balls

My sisters and I were at Michaels grabbing supplies to make cake balls (which I’ve already blogged about. twice.) That’s where we saw the Wilton square brownie pan. We were discussing how silly it would be to buy the pan just to make square brownies. Wouldn’t it be easier to just make brownies as usual in a pan and then cut them? Maybe people have issues cutting straight? The only reason we could think to actually make brownies in this pan would be to get the crusty goodness of the edges in every brownie. Then we decided we could use the pan to make square cake balls.

So on a whim, I bought the pan we had just been ridiculing. But it did make some nice looking square cake balls.

We cheated on these because we just used a cake that my family had bought to celebrate my birthday. For some reason none of us were in the mood for cake (maybe because my sister had made about 12 dozen cookies the night before), so we figured the ratio of cake to frosting would probably be about right for cake balls.

Here’s my beautiful cake. And, no it doesn’t belong on Cake Wrecks, that’s what they asked to be written on it. All of my siblings and I have nicknames for each other. Most of them are just the name followed by i-poo. So my nickname is Jenn-i-poo. Except you say it with a French sort of accent. Anyways, that’s my cake that we smashed up (with our hands!) to make the insides of the cake balls.

We then filled the square brownie pan with the cake mixture and popped it in the freezer to let the mix set. Then we popped the squares out and dipped them in almond bark and decorated with sprinkles. It was a fun afternoon in the kitchen. We sent most of these guys to work with my mom and her coworkers couldn’t believe they were homemade.

Bookmark and Share

10 Responses to “Blueberry Curd”

ErickaJo — July 20, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Loving the look of this recipe. Is it tart enough so that I could can it using using the water bath method, or do you think I should employ pressure? I’m about to come into a dozen pints of blueberries, and I’m trying to be creative. 🙂

Domi — July 14, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Ohmygodness! I made it and I’m in love! 🙂

Greetings from Poland!

• beantownbaker — July 14th, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

So glad you enjoyed this! Glad to have a friend in Poland 🙂

Alison's Wonderland Recipes — June 26, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I made your curd as part of my newest recipe (Eeyore’s Birthday Cake–angel food cake with blueberry curd filling), and I just wanted to say that it turned out fantastic! The curd was really easy to make and super delicious. 🙂

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:16 pm

So glad you enjoyed this curd recipe!

Lisa L. Dean — July 2, 2014 at 8:34 pm

how much would I need to fill a 3 layer cake.. its for my wedding and I am looking for an easy recipe.

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:18 pm

Hope this worked well for you. I used one batch for a triple layer cake.

Diane Welsh — January 27, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I was thinking about making this for a shower cake do you know if it would blueberry curd freezes well?

mystereons41 — April 2, 2015 at 11:51 am

So I’m not sure what I did wrong, but I just made this recipe and it seems something went awry. It didn’t come out very purple, more like a bluish gray, and it doesn’t really taste like blueberries. I used 1 cup of frozen blueberries. Did I use the wrong kind of blueberries maybe?

Cynthia — January 31, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Hello is it possible to can this recipe?