It’s a Pizza Pie!

When I saw Bake at 350‘s announcement for the Flavor of the Month blogging event, I knew I wanted to participate. It has been a while since I participated in a blogging event.

I’m not much of a pie person myself, so I was trying to think of other non-pie foods that have the word pie in them. I decided on a whim that I’d make a pizza for the event. Now I’ve never called a pizza a pie myself, but I know it’s been done. So I’m counting it (hope that’s ok with Bridget of Baker at 350).

I even cheated on the dough. I have to admit, while I’ve been tackling my fear of yeast over the past year or so, homemade pizza dough just hasn’t happened at our house yet. I used store bought dough *gasp* and decided to make my pizza into a breakfast pizza. Eggs seem to be the latest trend in condiments lately. I’ve seen them pop up as a topping on burgers, sandwiches and pretty much anything else. So I thought I’d give it a shot and make a breakfast pizza.

I just used what I had in the house to make my pizza. I went with goat cheese, fresh tomato, bacon, and egg. Then I sprinkled some freshly ground pepper, Kosher salt, and Parsley on top when it came out of the oven.

Can I just say I don’t know why I didn’t try this before. This is seriously AMAZING. I wanted to eat the whole pizza in one sitting. I baked mine a little long so the eggs would completely set up. I don’t like runny eggs. I know when I make this again (most likely this weekend), Hubby will want it with runny eggs. So we’ll see how that turns out. Whether you like runny eggs or not, you have to make this as soon as possible.

Breakfast pizza – from ME! – serves 4
pizza dough - I used an 8″ Mini Boboli Crust
1 fresh tomato, seeded and diced
3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
2 Tbsp goat cheese
3 eggs
parsley
salt and pepper

Heat oven to 450 (this is what the pizza dough instructions said). Mix the diced tomato and goat cheese in a bowl to combine. Spread onto pizza dough, leaving holes for where your eggs will go. Sprinkle bacon over entire pizza. Bake in oven for about 5 minutes or until dough is mostly cooked.

Crack eggs over pizza. I used one of my new round cookie cutters (thanks Dad!) to crack the egg into. The egg white still spread all over, but I think it helped keep the yolk where I wanted it. Cook for another 5-10 minutes depending on how done you want your eggs (I cooked mine 9 minutes more).

Take the pizza out before the eggs are completely set. They will still be jiggly when you take the pizza out. Make a foil tent over the pizza and let set for about 5-10 more minutes. The egg will continue to cook.

Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, Kosher salt, and fresh parsley. Enjoy!

Bookmark and Share

35 Responses to “It’s a Pizza Pie!”

Josie — July 30, 2009 at 1:04 pm

that looks soooo good – I will most definitely be making this soon

Jade — July 30, 2009 at 2:09 pm

This is such a great idea. I will have to try it one weekend for breakfast.

oneordinaryday — July 30, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Looks great. Very clever take on pie and I think I’ll be giving it a try myself. Thanks for the idea!

biz319 — July 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Holy yum – I am making this for my breakfast tomorrow!

OMG, you need to make your own dough – google Artisan Bread in 5 minutes for the recipe.

It takes 5 minutes to make, 2 hours to rise and its enough dough for four 14 inch pizzas, four loaves of bread – and the best part is you can keep the dough in the fridge for up to 2 weeks – just pull out what you need and let it come to room temp.

I don’t like runny eggs either – but my husband loves dipping bread into it – gross! :D

Jen — July 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I might just have to try homemade pizza dough. I think I could handle 5 minutes… Thanks for the info.

Katie — July 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm

That is a gorgeous pizza! I love all the colors and it looks so rustic! :)

jenn — July 30, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I don’t know why I have never made one of those either!!

I don’t like runny either, it grosses me out.

I can’t wait to try this over the weekend!

Jenn@ http://www.slim-shoppin.com

Ingrid — July 30, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Yay, for “pie” I participated too and didn’t make a traditional pie! Oh, geesh, pizza dough is super easy. The ONLY thing with yeast I can do! :) My 9 yr old actually makes it but we use the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes recipe. Breakfast pizza is a brillant idea can’t wait to give it a try. Psst, I have store bought dough in the fridge too. :)
    ~ingrid

Michelle — July 30, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I’ve seen bacon and pizzas pop up a few times, and yours looks so delicious! I really need to give this a try!

SK — July 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Wow that looks delicious!! Good idea with the cookie cutter!

JennyMac — July 30, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I have made a breakfast pizza before with scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese….but I LOVE the runny egg on it. Good tip with the biscuit cutter making a place for the yolk to nestle. I am gonna try this one. Yummers!

bec — July 30, 2009 at 11:49 pm

well now i just feel dumb that i didn’t think of this myself! it looks amazing. maybe i will make it and not tell neil that i stole the idea from you…..bwa ha ha ha ha…..

Stephanie Wagner — July 31, 2009 at 12:21 am

Awesome idea! Love the eggs cooked that way, I don’t do runny either… I made a breakfast pizza for a baby shower brunch, but it wasn’t nearly as healthy, I used gravy for sauce and scrambled the eggs with sausage. Hopefully, we’ll be giving this a try Sunday morning!

tara — July 31, 2009 at 1:02 am

What a smart idea to use the cookie cutters; definitely something to try. This looks delicious.

Jennifer — July 31, 2009 at 1:28 am

This is one thing I have wanted to try forever!! thanks for the reminder to do this!!! I love the cookie cutter idea to keep the whites in place!

nutmegnanny — July 31, 2009 at 2:06 am

Of course pizza is a pie:) It’s a savory pie. When I first moved to NY from OH I called to order a pizza and said “one large pizza” and the pizza guy said “one large pie” and I got all confused and said “ummm no a pizza” and then I’m pretty sure I heard him a sigh and he said “yes a pie is a pizza”…what a nerd I was.

Amy — July 31, 2009 at 4:42 am

I was JUST talking to someone about veggie pizza the other day. I love this and your version sounds so good. Can’t wait to try it!

Jen — July 31, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Just to clarify, the whites still ran some, but the yolks definitely stayed in place by using the cookie cutter. Except for the yolk I broke when I was cracking the shell.

Love all the stories about the pizza vs pie thing.

And yes Bec, go ahead and tell Neil you made it up. He’ll love you even more :) I’m wishing I hadn’t told Hubby about it and just surprised him with it this weekend. He’s going to love it (I made it on a day I worked from home).

Bridget — July 31, 2009 at 3:43 pm

This looks so delicious…and your pictures are gorgeous! :) I’m SO hungry right now!!!

Thanks so much for participating! I left you instructions for the linky in my blog comments.

ttfn300 — July 31, 2009 at 3:46 pm

holy cow that looks fantastic!!!

Page — July 31, 2009 at 4:35 pm

That looks awesome!

La Pixie — July 31, 2009 at 4:54 pm

this looks good, and I know my husband would like it. I might try it tomorrow morning for him. thanks for the idea!!

Dorci — July 31, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Those look great! Another way to get my son to eat breakfast. Yay!

chocolatecup — July 31, 2009 at 5:46 pm

this looks omgggg yummmmmmyyyyy

Michelle — July 31, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Wow that looks so good and what a great idea to serve for a brunch or breakfast for dinner meal! I am going to try this soon.

Heidi — July 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm

OMG!! That looks so good, I might have to make that one morning.

Jessica — July 31, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Fabulous! I am a lover of breakfast food and I love this new twist. I even have most of those ingredients at home right now. I think this will be breakfast tomorrow!

Nicole Feliciano — August 2, 2009 at 12:36 am

What a fun treat before the kids go back to school a n elaborate breakfast. This week I did sangria for recipe sharing. I hope you’ll stop by my site and share this tasty post:

thecookieshopinenglish — August 2, 2009 at 4:40 am

What a great idea! It looks really good and perfect for a weekend breakfast!

UnfinishedMom — August 5, 2009 at 12:19 pm

What a great idea! I love this.

~Amber~ — August 8, 2009 at 1:38 am

Wow, this sounds amazing!

christenandjames — August 9, 2009 at 6:10 pm

After finding this recipe yesterday on your blog, I made it for breakfast today. Holy Moly it’s fantastic! I added some sautee’d onions and it was so great. I added it to my blog at
    Thanks for the recipe!

liza — August 17, 2009 at 11:27 am

woww!! this looks delicious, its such a great idea.
    Bellacino’s Pizza and Grinder offers Buy One Get One Pizza Free.

Sweet and Savory — October 15, 2009 at 5:57 am

I am glad I found your blog. You have wonderful ideas and activities. I am thrilled you are doing the PINK theme.

From FAT to FIT — August 25, 2012 at 3:20 am

I make little “wells” in the cheese to hold my eggs in place :)