Chorizo, Shrimp and Lentil Stew

I try to grab random ingredients I’ve never used when I go to the store. I rarely remember to do this, but that’s how we ended up with a bag of lentils in the house. I searched through my Google Reader to find a recipe with lentils. We had everything in the house for this one, so we decided to try it. Neither of us knew what to expect, but we both really enjoyed this stew – it’s very hearty and flavorful.

Chorizo, Lentil and Shrimp Stew – from A Good Appetite
1 T olive oil
2 carrots, peeled & sliced – I used carrot chips
1 small onion, peeled & diced
1 clove garlic, peeled & minced
2 chorizo links, sliced – Spanish style chroizo not Mexican
1 bay leaf
1/4 t smoked paprika
1/8 t chipotle powder
1 14-oz can diced fired roasted tomatoes
1 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 c lentils
salt
10 cooked shrimp – I used about 1 pound because that’s what we had on hand

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat.

Add the carrots, onion, garlic & chorizo. Cook until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the bay leaf, paprika and chipotle & cook for 1 minute.

Add the tomatoes, chicken broth & lentils. Bring to a boil.

Cover & reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.

If the stew is a little dry add a little more broth. Test for seasoning & add salt if needed. Stir in shrimp & cook until just heated.

12 Responses to “Strawberry and Beer Sorbet”

tracy {pale yellow} — February 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Three ingredients? Amazing, I can’t wait to try this for myself!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

If you make it, let me know what beer/fruit combo you use. I can’t wait to try different combinations.

tracy {pale yellow} — February 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I just made it last night and used frozen strawberries and Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. Amazing!!! So creamy without any dairy. I’ll be posting the recipe on my site next week.

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

First of all, I haven’t had that beer, but it sounds tasty on it’s own. I’m sure it was delicious with the strawberries in this sorbet. So glad you enjoyed it. Let me know when your post goes up!

Shannon — February 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm

what an interesting idea! love that you can still taste the individual flavors 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

I loved it too. Even though when you say Strawberry and Beer Sorbet people kind of look at you like you’re crazy….

Tiffany — February 7, 2013 at 11:52 am

This sounds awesome and I know my husband would love it but we don’t have an ice cream maker. Is there an alternative way to make it?

Carole — March 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about ice cream and sorbets – or anything similar like gelato. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . Please do check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

Carole — March 7, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Jen , thanks for joining the link up for Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter. I hope you enjoyed looking at some of the other links. I have been reading them all and must say my ice cream cravings are now almost out of control! Cheers

Ps I am signing up to follow your blog. A follow back would be great – or maybe you have already?

Jimmie — August 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I work in a brewpub in Boulder. I’m gonna try this out with fresh peaches, honey, and a strong belgian golden ale. I’ll let you know how it goes.

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Oh man – that sounds awesome. I have a TON of peaches in my house right now… I just made a blueberry variety the other night.