Chorizo, Shrimp and Lentil Stew

I try to grab random ingredients I’ve never used when I go to the store. I rarely remember to do this, but that’s how we ended up with a bag of lentils in the house. I searched through my Google Reader to find a recipe with lentils. We had everything in the house for this one, so we decided to try it. Neither of us knew what to expect, but we both really enjoyed this stew – it’s very hearty and flavorful.

Chorizo, Lentil and Shrimp Stew – from A Good Appetite
1 T olive oil
2 carrots, peeled & sliced – I used carrot chips
1 small onion, peeled & diced
1 clove garlic, peeled & minced
2 chorizo links, sliced – Spanish style chroizo not Mexican
1 bay leaf
1/4 t smoked paprika
1/8 t chipotle powder
1 14-oz can diced fired roasted tomatoes
1 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 c lentils
salt
10 cooked shrimp – I used about 1 pound because that’s what we had on hand

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat.

Add the carrots, onion, garlic & chorizo. Cook until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the bay leaf, paprika and chipotle & cook for 1 minute.

Add the tomatoes, chicken broth & lentils. Bring to a boil.

Cover & reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.

If the stew is a little dry add a little more broth. Test for seasoning & add salt if needed. Stir in shrimp & cook until just heated.

11 Responses to “Massaged Kale Salad”

Lauren — August 30, 2010 at 11:23 am

I’m so glad you posted this! Aarti’s kale salad is on my list of dishes to make, and it’s good to know that you guys enjoyed it.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — August 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I saw this on the first episode of Aarti Party and it looked so good to me! Kale is something I’ve also never worked with in our kitchen so I definitely want to give this recipe a try!

Josie — August 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I love kale, and I was intrigued by this as well – I really want to try it now! Great picture!

Lauren — August 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I picked up all of the ingredients this morning to make the salad, and it is now sitting in my fridge waiting to be devoured for lunch. It’s GREAT! Who knew raw kale could be so good?!

Lizzy — August 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Kale is one of my favorite foods but I haven’t had it raw yet. I am bookmarking this!

Kate — August 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Wow sounds interesting! I’m very curious to try it myself. I love kale.

Christine — August 30, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I saw this on Aarti Party too – looks good – glad you tried it!

We Are Not Martha — August 31, 2010 at 1:51 am

I love kale and am on a new-found mango kick, so I’m sure this is absolutely wonderful 🙂

Sues

Sherry G — August 31, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I don’t know if I could get anyone in my family to try this, but it looks so interesting! I have never tried kale, but I would like to!

Cara — August 31, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I made a massaged kale salad once but it was just “eh”. I don’t think I massaged enough. But I might have to try it again, and do it the right way, since you both loved it!

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I LOVE massaged kale – love, love, love it. It tastes completely different than “regular” – not as “green” if that makes sense. 🙂
    I also love the next food network star. I should check out Aarti’s show since this recipe sounds like it’s right up my alley. 🙂