Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

Chocolate and peanut butter are such a classic flavor combo. You really can’t beat it. I’d say it’s definitely one of my favorites.

This peanut butter frosting recipe is amazing. No wonder it’s famous. I decided to make these on a whim and take them to a cookout.

I got inspiration from Mermaid Sweets. I decided to kick it up a notch by filling the cupcakes with more peanut butter cup pieces and some ganache. Because ganache definitely makes everything better! Be warned though, after one of these guys, you’ll definitely need a glass of milk.

For the chocolate cupcakes, I used the recipe from Elisa Strauss’s Confetti Cakes for kids – I’m not going to post the recipe here, I recommend the cookbook, although I’m sure someone else has posted the recipe on the Internet somewhere…

Kathleen’s Peanut Butter Icing – as seen on Mermaid Sweets from the Food Network
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.

Chocolate Ganache (I had some leftover in the fridge, you would probably only need about 1/4 of this recipe)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

In saucepan bring whipping cream to boil over high heat.

Pour hot whipping cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate melted.

You can add more cream if your ganache is too thick to spread.

To assemble the cupcakes:
Using the cone method, remove some of the cupcake and set aside. Drop a few pieces of cut up mini Reeces peanut butter cups to the hole in the cupcake. Spoon some ganache in the hole.

Replace the top of the cupcake. Frost with peanut butter frosting (I used my Wilton 1M tip). Top frosting with more cut up mini Reeces peanut butter cups.

Bookmark and Share

18 Responses to “Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream”

steph@stephsbitebybite — June 24, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh my word!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Pass me a spoon! This sounds amazing, Jen!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 24, 2013 at 8:23 am

I need this ice cream right now!

Sues — June 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I absolutely love cookie dough ice cream and this looks like a fabulous one! I love your bowls, too 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Thanks! They’re from Pier 1.

Katie B. — June 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Wow… I’m not a cookie dough ice cream fan for the same reason, but this is amazing. How much do you think the coconut milk plays in the flavor?

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

I personally don’t find coconut milk very coconuty. I know some people do. I think you could use the cow’s milk varieties in the recipe and it would taste similar. I just have to use the coconut milk since i can’t eat cow’s milk.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 27, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love this! Ice cream has to be my favorite dessert, this looks amazing 🙂

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I made this recipe from Tracey a couple of weeks ago too (I haven’t post about it yet) – so good!!!

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Isn’t it? It’s definitely one of my favorite ice cream recipes to date!

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — June 28, 2013 at 2:08 am

This sounds delicious! I’m with you–regular cookie dough ice cream is a snooze. (Unless I’m sharing a pint with someone who doesn’t mind if I go through and pick out all the goodies–but let’s be real–everyone minds!) I’ll have to try this variation–it sounds like the perfect solution!

• beantownbaker — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:17 am

I agree completely – everyone does mind!

Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) — July 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

This looks amazing!!! We would love it if you would link up at our We Scream For Ice Cream linky party/giveaway:
    Live the whole month of July.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

• beantownbaker — July 3rd, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

Thanks for the link!

Melissa — July 6, 2013 at 6:45 am

Cookie dough ice cream is my favorite and this recipe makes me want to buy an ice cream maker immediately! Which kind do you recommend?

• beantownbaker — July 6th, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I have the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. If you don’t have a Kitchenaid mixer, I’ve heard good things about the Cuisinart ice cream maker.

Kristen — March 30, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I’ve never made cookie dough ice cream but am wanting to try this one. Is there a way to substitute the egg yolks or leave it out?

Thanks!

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

I would assume you could find a Philadelphia style ice cream recipe to use as the base with some brown sugar in it to give it more of a cookie dough taste. I wouldn’t recommend just leaving them out of this specific recipe though.