Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Toasts

We were going to a cookout and I was asked to bring an appetizer. I was happy to oblige and was excited about the challenge. Usually I’m asked to bring dessert, so it was fun to try to think of something else to bring. I went to the starred items in my Google Reader (last time I checked I had over 1000 starred items!) and decided that these would be perfect. Everyone at the cookout enjoyed them and I didn’t have any to bring home.

I doubled the recipe and it took one large jar of roasted red peppers. The other great thing about this recipe is that it can be made in advance. Just store the toasted bread in a airtight container (or ziplock bag) and assemble just prior to serving.

Goat cheese and Red Pepper Appetizers – adapted from Cooking This and That, originally from Giada De Laurentiis
18 slices (1/2″ thick) sliced baguette bread
olive oil
4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese – I used 1/2 goat cheese and 1/2 herbed goat cheese
2 ounces cream cheese – I used Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
parsley and basil – I used frozen fresh basil because that’s what I had on hand
salt and pepper to taste
18 strips of roasted red peppers

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, blend goat cheese and cream cheese in food processor (this is easier if the cheeses are room temperature) until smooth and creamy. Add the parsley, basil, salt and pepper and pulse just to blend.

Spread the cheese mixture in a thin layer over each toasted slice of bread. Top with a strip of roasted red pepper.

14 Responses to “Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream”

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — May 31, 2013 at 8:14 am

What a gorgeous chocolate!! I adore deep chocolate ice creams.

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

You would definitely love this then. It’s so rich and chocolatey!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 31, 2013 at 8:19 am

I just got an ice cream maker and cannot wait to start trying it out… this looks a bit above my skill level, but a good thing to work towards!

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:08 am

I completely understand wanting to start out with an easier recipe. Sorbets are really easy. No cooking necessary for most sorbet recipes. But def keep this one in the back of your mind for when you feel more confident!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 31, 2013 at 8:51 am

I made this dark chocolate ice cream last year, and it is definitely the best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had. The 5-day wait time is pure torture, but it’s completely worth it. So glad you enjoyed this as much as I did!

• beantownbaker — May 31st, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I agree, it was complete torture, especially after taking a taste after it had processed in the machine…

tracy {pale yellow} — May 31, 2013 at 6:23 pm

A rich, deep chocolate ice cream is worth the wait! It’s so hard to find a recipe for the decadent chocolate ice I desire, this recipe has moved to the top of my to-do list!

Sues — June 3, 2013 at 6:48 am

You can tell just by looking at this how rich and awesome it is!!

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

It’s seriously difficult to scoop it’s so thick!

Shannon — June 6, 2013 at 12:11 pm

wowza, this certainly tell how rich and decadent it is!! i’m appreciating more and more those things that I only need a spoonful of to satisfy 😉

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:53 am

This is definitely one of those things. I love chocolate but could only handle one small scoop at a time.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 7, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Who isn’t a fan of chocolate?! This looks amazing 🙂

Lisa T — June 16, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I would love to try this recipe. I am wondering why you used coconut milk, and I’m assuming full fat coconut milk?

• beantownbaker — June 16th, 2013 @ 7:47 pm

i use coconut milk because I’m lactose intolerant so I can’t use cow’s milk or heavy cream. If you want to use those dairy products, follow the instructions in the original recipe. And yes, I use full fat coconut milk.