Chocolate Oreo Rice Krispies Treats in the Microwave (aka “baking” with no kitchen)

A church near our house hosted a Strawberry Festival last weekend. I was checking out the website and I found out they were also doing a bake sale and looking for people to donate baked goods. Of course I wanted to help out, but there was one minor problem… Oh right, we have no kitchen right now! Well I started thinking about things I could make with just my box of baking supplies and a microwave. A came across quite a few recipes and decided on these Oreo Rice Krispies treats. Who wouldn’t love these?

And I found out that Hubby apparently really loves Rice Krispies Treats. He said he’d only ever had plain ones, but I think I may have converted him to loving them with something mixed in. I used a 9×13 pan because I like mine thicker. And I cut them fairly large since they were for a bake sale. I got 12 our of each 9×13 pan.

They came together in a snap. I used the cabinets which are still in boxes as counterspace and the hardest part was cleanup. Washing big bowls in a bathtub is NOT fun!

Chocolate Oreo Rice Krispies Treats – from Recipezaar1/3 cup butter or margarine
5 cups mini marshmallows – I used a package of regular marshmallows
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups Rice Krispies
15 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped – I just threw them in a ziploc bag and crushed them with my hands

Butter an 11 x 7-inch pan (I used 9×13).

In a large microwave-safe bowl heat the butter or margarine with marshmallows and cocoa powder on HIGH powder for 3 minutes, removing after stirring each minute.

Mix in vanilla then add in the cereal and chopped Oreo cookies; mix with a wooden spoon until well coated.

Transfer to prepared pan then press down with back of a spoon to spread evenly.

Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then cut into squares.

11 Responses to “Oatmeal Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm

These cookies look great! Hope you feel better soon Jen!

Megan — January 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

These look awesome. I love chocolate and cinnamon together.

Feel better!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 24, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Love oatmeal cookies! Hope you’re feeling better 🙂

Bridget — January 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Aw, I didn’t realize you hadn’t gone to the swap! What a bummer. But then at least you didn’t have to share these cookies. 😉

Alicia — January 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Yum. I really love the combo of chocolate and cinnamon! Glad they came out well.

Feel better!!

Shannon — January 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm

hope you were able to get some rest and are feeling better! we missed you, but hopefully we’ll have another chance to catch up soon. these look great, and i’ve got some cinnamon chips in my house too 😉

Elizabeth — January 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I’m not sure I’ve had chocolate & cinnamon together before but I bet the combination is great! And if it’s in an oatmeal cookie, you can’t really go wrong.

Heather Lynne — January 25, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love cinnamon chips and put them in oatmeal cookies. I never thought of putting them in chocolate chip oatmeal cookies-they look amazing!

Blog is the New Black — January 25, 2011 at 1:22 am

Jenn, these sound awesome, and I have some cinnamon chips to use!

We Are Not Martha — January 25, 2011 at 1:24 am

These look wonderful! I’m sure being stuck in the house with a whole batch of them made you feel a little bit better, right? I love cookies with cinnamon chips in them!

Sues

Elizabeth — January 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

These look so delicious. Getting sick on important (dessert related!) events is the absolute worst. I think another cookie swap is in your future.