Chocolate Oreo Rice Krispies Treats in the Microwave (aka “baking” with no kitchen)

A church near our house hosted a Strawberry Festival last weekend. I was checking out the website and I found out they were also doing a bake sale and looking for people to donate baked goods. Of course I wanted to help out, but there was one minor problem… Oh right, we have no kitchen right now! Well I started thinking about things I could make with just my box of baking supplies and a microwave. A came across quite a few recipes and decided on these Oreo Rice Krispies treats. Who wouldn’t love these?

And I found out that Hubby apparently really loves Rice Krispies Treats. He said he’d only ever had plain ones, but I think I may have converted him to loving them with something mixed in. I used a 9×13 pan because I like mine thicker. And I cut them fairly large since they were for a bake sale. I got 12 our of each 9×13 pan.

They came together in a snap. I used the cabinets which are still in boxes as counterspace and the hardest part was cleanup. Washing big bowls in a bathtub is NOT fun!

Chocolate Oreo Rice Krispies Treats – from Recipezaar1/3 cup butter or margarine
5 cups mini marshmallows – I used a package of regular marshmallows
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups Rice Krispies
15 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped – I just threw them in a ziploc bag and crushed them with my hands

Butter an 11 x 7-inch pan (I used 9×13).

In a large microwave-safe bowl heat the butter or margarine with marshmallows and cocoa powder on HIGH powder for 3 minutes, removing after stirring each minute.

Mix in vanilla then add in the cereal and chopped Oreo cookies; mix with a wooden spoon until well coated.

Transfer to prepared pan then press down with back of a spoon to spread evenly.

Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then cut into squares.

8 Responses to “Superbowl Dessert Sneak Peak”

admin — February 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

such a cute idea!

Jeanette — February 6, 2010 at 8:51 pm

You are so creative!

Carlos — February 6, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Woohoo can’t wait for the party!

A Scientist in the Kitchen — February 7, 2010 at 7:13 am

I’m having my first Superbowl Sunday ever, and I can’t wait for the food! Did I say I’m also having my first snow? 🙂

Gay

Sunshine — February 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm

My sister and I did something similar last night. We got a box of white cake mix, followed the instructions, separated it into 2 bowls, and dyed one bowl a dark blue and the other black. After baking, we dyed a bowl of frosting yellow for the black cupcakes and left the rest white. They look pretty cool, and we can’t wait for the family to see it. Next time, I’m going to try the team logos. Thanks for the good idea.

Cookie is my hero! — February 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Wow, let those creative juices flow! I like this idea ALOT :p

The Utts — September 6, 2010 at 12:22 am

What brand of candy melts did you use? I’m having a hard time finding the dark blue. I am wondering if I can take the light blue ones and tint them darker.

Jen — September 12, 2010 at 1:00 am

The Utts – I found the dark blue candy melts at AC Moore about a year ago. I know Wilton doesn’t make dark blue. I found them online as well since I can’t remember what brand they were. Here’s a link to where you can order some online.