Chocolate chip cookie bars

I’ve been in a big cookie bar mood lately. They’re just so much easier than making cookies. No need to portion dough, bake, wait, and repeat it all over and over. You just throw all the dough into a pan and 15 minutes later you’re all set. In fact, growing up I almost preferred chocolate chip cookie bars over cookies.

These bars have a good amount of chocolate chips in them, which is awesome.

Chocolate Chip Bars – from My Baking Adventures, originally from Cookie Madness
8 oz regular salted butter (2 sticks) – I used unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup of brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) – I added the salt
2 (12 oz) packages of semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped pecans (optional) – I omitted the pecans

Cream the butter and sugars, beat in the eggs and vanilla.. Combine the dry ingredients and blend in. Add chips and nuts. Spread in a greased 15x 10 inch baking pan. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.

11 Responses to “Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm

This looks like such a perfect gift! Are those your homemade marshmallows I spy in the mug?

Jen — December 20, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Of course they are! I seriously can’t justify buying marshmallows anymore. They’re just so easy and SO good homemade. I even whipped up a batch to put on our twice baked sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving.

Blog is the New Black — December 20, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I really wanted to do this this year for gifts but time escaped me. Looks great!

Boston Food Diary — December 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Soooo here’s the deal- A Boston Food Diary is going to look A LOT like Beantown Baker next week as I steal your recipes 🙂 Looks great Jen!

Megan — December 20, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Why have I never thought about doing this? It looks so easy and it definitely would give me an excuse to make some homemade marshmallows!

Danielle — December 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm

That looks like an amazing gift! Making a homemade hot cocoa would definetly save money. Thanks for the recipe(:

EliFla — December 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Ghirardelli cocoa is very good and your homemade hot cocoa mix …too!!! May you have a special merry Christmas!!!Hugs, Flavia

Meghan@travelwinedine — December 21, 2010 at 1:17 am

I have never thought of making my own cocoa mix OR marshmallows. I feel a winter project coming on. Looks delicious!

kitchenmisfit — December 21, 2010 at 1:33 am

I have had this bookmarked to make to some gifts for a couple of my girlfriends. So awesome and easy to make!

-Amanda

dana — December 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Loads of thanks to you. I can make everyone happy this Christmas. This recipe is even easy to follow.

innochkaskitchen — December 24, 2010 at 3:01 am

Yum! What a great holiday gift idea!