Chocolate chip cookie bars

I’ve been in a big cookie bar mood lately. They’re just so much easier than making cookies. No need to portion dough, bake, wait, and repeat it all over and over. You just throw all the dough into a pan and 15 minutes later you’re all set. In fact, growing up I almost preferred chocolate chip cookie bars over cookies.

These bars have a good amount of chocolate chips in them, which is awesome.

Chocolate Chip Bars – from My Baking Adventures, originally from Cookie Madness
8 oz regular salted butter (2 sticks) – I used unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup of brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional) – I added the salt
2 (12 oz) packages of semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped pecans (optional) – I omitted the pecans

Cream the butter and sugars, beat in the eggs and vanilla.. Combine the dry ingredients and blend in. Add chips and nuts. Spread in a greased 15x 10 inch baking pan. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.

7 Responses to “The Ultimate Whoopie Pies”

bcallegra — February 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

What a cute idea! As always, you’ve provided the inspiration for what I’ll make this weekend as a dessert.

PS – Using leftover pulled pork from your recipe to make nachos as well!

Laura — January 31, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I love this! I’m new to baking so I’m wondering: when you pipe the batter onto the pan, how much batter do you use for each one? I’m just wondering if I should make them thin, or will they spread out? Thanks 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2014 @ 4:54 pm

Sorry for not responding sooner. They spread out a little bit, but not too much. Did you end up making them? How did they turn out?

Laura — February 3, 2014 at 8:00 pm

They turned out great! my first few tests, i made them too big with too much batter, and they were pretty huge. I was surprised how little batter you need, and they are so nice and fluffy 😀
    I couldn’t find marshmallow frosting, so i ended up making my own.. turns out its pretty easy! thanks again! they were a huge hit!

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2014 @ 10:56 am

So glad you enjoyed them!

Kristina B — January 17, 2016 at 7:22 pm

How far in advance can you assemble them? I was hoping to do so at least two hours ahead of time. Thank you.

Trina and Tina — January 27, 2016 at 8:08 pm

We discovered these yummies while on the hunt for the perfect Suberbowl treat! They look delicious! Thanks for sharing!