Hubby and I decided to send baked goods to our moms on Mother’s Day this year. Of course I was happy to help. I wanted to make something that would travel well and (of course) something I’ve never made. Since we were preparing for our kitchen renovation at the time, I also wanted to use up some of the random half bags of cookie mix ins.

Blondies fit my requirements perfectly. This blondie recipe is pretty well known. I made one batch with just dark chocolate M&Ms and another batch with some white chocolate chips, toffee bits, and chopped walnuts. Both batches turned out great and the one with the white chips turned out better than I expected. That combination of mix-ins tasted like butterscotch.

Blondies – from Blonde Ambition in the Kitchen

6-7 TBS butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder (optional, creates lighter blondie texture)

“Add in” (see below)

Preheat oven to 350.
Line an 8×8 pan with foil and lightly spray with PAM.
In a large microwave safe mixing bowl melt the butter. Allow to cool for 5 mintues. Mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla. Add salt, stir in flour and baking powder (if using). Mix in any additions (some ideas below).

Pour into prepared pan and use a greased spatula to evenly spread mixture in pan and level the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle. (I baked for 22 minutes)Cool on rack before cutting.

Add in ideas:
1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate or butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds
1/2 cup M&M candies1/2 chopped Reese’s PB cups
1/4 cup toffee pieces
1/2 tsp mint extract in addition to, or in the place of vanilla extract

16 Responses to “Homemade Milky Way Candy Bars”

KV — October 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm

those look good too. Are homemade butterfingers next? I have a recipe I’m going to try out soon.

Jen — October 20, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Butterfingers would be tasty, but I’ve got something else coming on Friday…

amanda @ fake ginger — October 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

OH YUM! I really want to try these but I’m horrible at dipping things too.

oneordinaryday — October 21, 2010 at 12:25 am

This is exactly what my son’s been asking me to do. You’re making it hard to say no – they look perfect!

Kimmy Bingham — October 21, 2010 at 1:03 am

Why do you tempt me so? Milky Ways are my favorites. This is so worth trying 🙂

Smitten Sugar — October 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Yum these look delicious! I love Milky ways

Eliana — October 21, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Well they look pretty perfect to me! And super delicious too.

Kerstin — October 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I’m so intrigued by the cool whip/chocolate mixture for the filling! These look so yummy and addicting!

Miss Yunks — October 22, 2010 at 4:34 pm

These look so cute and much easier than the milky ways and snickers I made a few months ago. I made mine in muffin wrappers so I didn’t dip them, just layered the chocolate, nougat, caramel, and chocolate! They came out pretty tasty but was a lot of work!

Rachael Pergler — October 26, 2010 at 1:31 am

I just tried these and they didn’t come out as I’d hoped. The chocolate and whipped cream mix was too sticky and wouldn’t harden. Did I do something wrong? Also what if you can’t find kraft caramel?

Jen — October 26, 2010 at 11:41 am

Rachael – Sorry to hear they didn’t turn out for you. The center part was a bit sticky while dipping and wasn’t super hard… Any caramel would work for this recipe, I just use the Kraft kind that comes individually wrapped.

K — November 2, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I would put melted chocolate in the pan first, freeze, then the chocolate mixture, then the caramel. Then you can spoon melted chocolate on top. Would this work? (It solves the dipping problem too!)

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

That could definitely work… The caramel might ooze out when you gut them though… Let me know how it goes if you try it.

Rick — October 31, 2014 at 11:23 am

I hope you are not using Cool Whip which is all trans-fat and high fructose corn syrup. I’m looking for a healthier alternative to the store bought Milky Way. Perhaps a recipe for homemade whip ?

Linda — December 23, 2015 at 1:42 pm

These were a DISASTER. I wasted my morning and a lot of ingredients. The chocolate mixture was so sticky when cutting into squares. The directions did not state whether to add water to the caramels when melting so I didn’t…the caramels ended up thick and so sticky, I had trouble putting it on the chocolate layer. Dumped the whole mess out since I didn’t want to waste a bag of milk chocolate chips to coat them. I have been baking my entire life (60 +) and never had a recipe go like that.

360 health tips — December 11, 2017 at 9:45 am

Very rapidly this website will be famous amid all
    blog visitors, due to it’s good articles or reviews