Blondies

Hubby and I decided to send baked goods to our moms on Mother’s Day this year. Of course I was happy to help. I wanted to make something that would travel well and (of course) something I’ve never made. Since we were preparing for our kitchen renovation at the time, I also wanted to use up some of the random half bags of cookie mix ins.

Blondies fit my requirements perfectly. This blondie recipe is pretty well known. I made one batch with just dark chocolate M&Ms and another batch with some white chocolate chips, toffee bits, and chopped walnuts. Both batches turned out great and the one with the white chips turned out better than I expected. That combination of mix-ins tasted like butterscotch.

Blondies – from Blonde Ambition in the Kitchen

6-7 TBS butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder (optional, creates lighter blondie texture)

“Add in” (see below)

Preheat oven to 350.
Line an 8×8 pan with foil and lightly spray with PAM.
In a large microwave safe mixing bowl melt the butter. Allow to cool for 5 mintues. Mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla. Add salt, stir in flour and baking powder (if using). Mix in any additions (some ideas below).

Pour into prepared pan and use a greased spatula to evenly spread mixture in pan and level the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle. (I baked for 22 minutes)Cool on rack before cutting.

Add in ideas:
1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate or butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds
1/2 cup M&M candies1/2 chopped Reese’s PB cups
1/4 cup toffee pieces
1/2 tsp mint extract in addition to, or in the place of vanilla extract

9 Responses to “Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bundt”

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — February 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm

My list of must make recipes is constantly getting switched a round. So many great recipes come out every day it’s hard to keep up

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2013 @ 10:22 am

I agree completely. Even when I have sat down to make a must-bake list, within a few weeks, half of the things on there aren’t doing it for me because I’ve found new recipes I want to try.

Ashley — February 18, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I love making lists, too. And I especially love checking things off of lists. This will definitely be added to my insanely large list of recipes to try out. Yum!

Aimee — February 19, 2013 at 4:45 pm

OMG! I was wondering why my jaw dropped the second I saw this gorgeous cake in my Google reader! It looks amazing Jen, and since I still haven’t made it (shameful but not at all surprising) I am so glad you did! I wish I could eat a piece! Miss you. Xoxo

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2013 @ 10:24 am

Miss you too hon. You definitely should still try to make this bundt. It’s worth keeping on your list.

Megan — February 19, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Anything with peanut butter and chocolate chips and you can count me in!

Shannon — February 20, 2013 at 10:32 am

yum. this is definitely my kind of cake, i can’t turn down peanut butter!

Kelly — May 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Hi Beantown Baker
    Do you think this would be able to be made in cupcake form? Or is it best to keep it in bundt pan for cooking purposes?

Thanks

• beantownbaker — May 16th, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

Good question. While I haven’t made this in to cupcakes, there’s no reason this has to be baked in a bundt pan. I’d say give it a shot! Let me know how it goes for you.