Almond Joy (actually Mounds) Cupcakes

I saw these cupcakes forever ago on Clara’s blog. Then recently, they popped up in my Google Reader again, reminding me that I needed to make them. And soon! I decided to turn CB’s thoughts into action. Instead of using the cone method to fill the cupcakes, I just frosted them with the coconut frosting. In fact, I used my new favorite way to frost a cupcake. Then I drizzled the ganache over the top of the frosting. I decided at the last minute not to include the almond on the top. They were just too pretty and tasted awesome anyways. So these are actually Mounds cupcakes, although not really since Mounds have dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. So I’ll call them Almound Joy cupcakes. And they’re amazing.

Almond Joy Cupcakes – makes 18 – As seen on Cook Like a Champion and I Heart CuppyCakes, originally from Hello Cupcake
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven 350F.

Prepare cupcake pan with liners.

Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.

In another medium bowl with an electric mixer on high, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Beat in the melted chocolate.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating until blended.

Stir in vanilla.

Fill the cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 full.

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17-20 minutes.

Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Coconut cream cheese filling (frosting in my case):
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.

Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.

Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring, and vanilla extract.

Continue beating until mixture is smooth and spreadable.

Add additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin.

Fold in the shredded coconut.

Chocolate ganache:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

In saucepan bring whipping cream to boil over high heat.

Pour hot whipping cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate melted.

You can add more cream if your ganache is too thick to spread.

To assemble the cupcakes:
Remove center of cupcake using the cone method. Set cone aside – feel free to eat it!

Pipe frosting into hole and continue on top of cupcake. Drizzle ganache over frosting.

19 Responses to “Dairy Free Chocolate Cookies ‘N Cream Ice Cream”

Christine @ Christine's Kitchen Chronicles — January 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Yum that looks delicious and welcome back to my hometown! Cincinnati’s actually a great town that grows on you and has been evolving quite a bit in the time that you’ve been away. I suspect given your profession and work location history that we probably work for the same company as our day jobs ;).

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:30 am

Yes, Cincinnati has changed a LOT since we moved away in 2007.

I would suspect you’re right. There’s enough info to know where I work, especially if you work here too 😉 Going to go check out your blog now. I would love to meet some other Cincinnati area bloggers!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:31 am

Ok I work for the *other* big company in town (just checked your About page).

Eva @ Eva Bakes — January 23, 2013 at 10:55 am

Isn’t the KA ice cream attachment the best thing ever? I am always making ice cream, even in the wintertime, but I never thought of using canned coconut milk as the base. I’ll have to try this out soon!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 11:37 am

Absolutely. I didn’t think I could love my KAM any more than I already did. The ice cream attachment proved that I can.

Cara — January 23, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I have lots of cans of coconut milk laying around and I know they make a good ice cream! Adding this one to my list 🙂

tracy {pale yellow} — January 23, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I bought myself KA ice creamer maker for my birthday this summer and I adore it! I’ve been thinking about making non-dairy ice creams, but the recipes all sounded strange. It’s great to see a recipe from a trusted source. Can’t wait to try.

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

Let me know what you think if you try it. I am going to be experimenting with different milks since I can’t have cow’s milk…

Shannon — January 24, 2013 at 11:08 am

love coconut milk based ice creams!! this one looks fabulous, and good call throwing in those oreos 😉

• beantownbaker — January 24th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

It’s ALWAYS a good idea to throw oreos in 🙂

Sabine — January 29, 2013 at 12:07 am

My brother’s favorite thing to get at Coldstone is chocolate oreo ice cream. Too bad I don’t have an ice cream maker, or I would definitely try this!

• beantownbaker — January 29th, 2013 @ 7:51 am

I’ve been told you can make ice cream without an ice cream maker. I never tried it before I got mine though…

Mary — January 31, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I just made your recipe and luckily I tasted it before I cooled it. The ratio of sugar to cocoa powder is off. You should use at least twice the amount of sugar to cocoa powder in order for it not to have a horribly bitter taste. After adding more sugar it had a nice sweet to chocolately balance. Thanks for the recipe, my daughter is lactose intolerant and she will enjoy it.

• beantownbaker — January 31st, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

I am glad you were able to adjust this recipe to suit your needs. Hubby and I both enjoyed the sweetness level of this recipe. I’m sure different cocoa powders have different levels of sweetness. I plan to try this recipe without the cocoa powder to make vanilla ice cream too. We loved the creaminess of it!

Efrain Stamper — March 11, 2013 at 3:08 am

This look yummy and chocolate ice cream is one of my favorite. Thanks for sharing the directions and ingredients.

Sara — April 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

I just opened a can of coconut milk and it looked extremely curdled. I shook it a lot but it was still completely curdled. Is that how coconut milk is supposed to be out of the can? Are there any brands that you specifically like to use?

Raigon — October 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Oh how I wish I could try this.. I am currently gluten and dairy free.. However this being dairy free is is not gluten free with the oreo’s… Bummer!!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:28 am

I’ve made this recipe again without the Oreos and it’s really good. Not quite as good as with the Oreos, but if you wanted to make it gluten free, just leave them out.