Almond Joy (actually Mounds) Cupcakes

I saw these cupcakes forever ago on Clara’s blog. Then recently, they popped up in my Google Reader again, reminding me that I needed to make them. And soon! I decided to turn CB’s thoughts into action. Instead of using the cone method to fill the cupcakes, I just frosted them with the coconut frosting. In fact, I used my new favorite way to frost a cupcake. Then I drizzled the ganache over the top of the frosting. I decided at the last minute not to include the almond on the top. They were just too pretty and tasted awesome anyways. So these are actually Mounds cupcakes, although not really since Mounds have dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. So I’ll call them Almound Joy cupcakes. And they’re amazing.

Almond Joy Cupcakes – makes 18 – As seen on Cook Like a Champion and I Heart CuppyCakes, originally from Hello Cupcake
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven 350F.

Prepare cupcake pan with liners.

Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.

In another medium bowl with an electric mixer on high, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3 minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Beat in the melted chocolate.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating until blended.

Stir in vanilla.

Fill the cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 full.

Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17-20 minutes.

Allow to cool completely before frosting.

Coconut cream cheese filling (frosting in my case):
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.

Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with heavy cream.

Beat in the salt, coconut flavoring, and vanilla extract.

Continue beating until mixture is smooth and spreadable.

Add additional confectioners’ sugar if necessary to thicken the frosting, or more cream to thin.

Fold in the shredded coconut.

Chocolate ganache:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

In saucepan bring whipping cream to boil over high heat.

Pour hot whipping cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate melted.

You can add more cream if your ganache is too thick to spread.

To assemble the cupcakes:
Remove center of cupcake using the cone method. Set cone aside – feel free to eat it!

Pipe frosting into hole and continue on top of cupcake. Drizzle ganache over frosting.

14 Responses to “Peppermint Patty Cookies”

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love frozen Thin Mints so I totally get why these are good frozen! Looks fantastic!

Megan — February 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Ooh… I love the sound of these. If I don’t end up making them soon, I definitely will keep them in mind for Christmas cookies!

Evan — February 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Just when I thought there wasn’t another way to enjoy a peppermint patty, you post this. Love it! They’re definitely one of my favorite candies.

Kathy Day — February 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I MADE HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT PATTIES WHEN I WAS LITTLE, THEY WERE A CHRISTMAS TRADITION! I REFUSE TO DO IT ANYMORE THOUGH, THE PATTIES ALWAYS FELL APART ON ME WHEN I DIPPED THEM.

THESE COOKIES LOOK DELICIOUS. I WOULD TOTALLY BE ON BOARD WITH THAT 😀

Amy (SingForYourSupper) — February 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Oh YUMMY! I must make these ASAP!

Jennifer — February 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm

These sound AWESOME! I love peppermint patty’s.

Hezzi-D — February 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Oh yum! Peppermint Patties are my mom’s absolute favorite! I am totally making these next time I go hojme-they even look like giant patties!

Just My Delicious — February 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm

these cookies looks so tasty! I`d like to have some in front of me 🙂

Blog is the New BLack — February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm

THese look AMAZING! My bf would totally love these! 🙂

Bertha — February 4, 2011 at 12:05 am

I just wanted to say that I’ve been a silent reader for a long time and you are my go to source whenever I need an impressive dessert for a party or just when I’m craving something sweet. Every single recipe has turned out amazing! Thank you!

Amanda L. — February 4, 2011 at 1:55 am

These look great! My high school vice principal loved peppermint patties! heh

Cara — February 4, 2011 at 3:48 am

mmm what else is in that freezer of yours? I want to come raid it!

Peabody — February 4, 2011 at 8:11 am

I want! Oh my!

Sheila C. — December 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I visited my cousin today and she had made these cookies. She shared them with us and they were the bomb! Be careful because they are highly addictive! Rich but yummy! I will be making them.