Roasted Red Pepper Dip

I made this dip for Hubby and a friend when they were hanging out. It made a huge amount of dip! Since we had so much leftover, we got creative with it. We spread it on top of some salmon and baked the salmon in the oven – it was AWESOME! I would recommend doing that if you have leftovers of this dip. Or even just make this as a salmon topping.

The original recipe called for 2 cloves of garlic and I always double the garlic in recipes. However, this time that was a little bit overkill. The garlic is very strong in this dip, so keep that in mind. Also, I think it would have been smoother if it had been mixed in a blender instead of a food processor.

Roasted Red Pepper Dip – adapted from Milk & Honey
1 large jar of roasted red peppers – drained and blotted dry
1 red onion – chopped
4 garlic cloves – this is a LOT of garlic, if I make it again, I’d use 2 or 3
1/4 cup dry breadcumbs
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce

Place peppers, onion, and garlic in a food processor; process until finely chopped.

Add remaining ingredients; process until smooth. Serve with pita chips.

13 Responses to “Homemade Green Bean Casserole”

Cathy B. @ Brightbakes — December 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm

wow..great to see a green bean casserole with ingredients that are actually found in nature! 🙂 thank you!
    love,
    cathy b.

Carolyn — December 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I think this homemade version has to beat the pants off the one with canned mushroom soup. I mean, with portobellos and shitakes? Yes please!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I’ve only tried the “classic” green bean casserole for the first time like a month ago and I’m definitely recreating it this weekend – cream of mushroom and all! Yours, however, looks gourmet and unprocessed!

Sinful Sundays — December 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm

i’ve never had Green Bean casserole and want to try it so badly! I may just make the processed version to see how it tastes. Yours looks way more fabulous than I could probably ever get mine to be!

Boston Food Diary — December 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yummmmm- well done in getting rid of the processed sections and going for the natural approach!!!! Looks delicious!

Melissa — December 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’ve never had green bean casserole but this makes me want to try it! Yours looks really good.

stephchows — December 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm

home made green bean casserole! I didn’t know it was possible! 🙂 Personally I’m in the hate category… but I’d be willing to try this version 🙂

Shannon — December 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

definitely looks better than the “traditional” version!!

Shannon — December 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oooh, I am so excited about this! A friend requested green bean casserole for a small holiday party that I’m hosting, but I really, really didn’t want to make the regular version of it. This is perfect!

sabjimata — December 8, 2010 at 9:50 pm

everything’s better homemade!

Lulu — December 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

This sounds like a very useful veggie side dish come the post-Xmas dinners. I did notice recently that oriental shops also sell roasted shredded crispy onions, if you find yourself very short of time one day (they are not expensive).

Stella — November 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Definitely the best green casserole recipe! I’ve been making Alton s recipe for years.

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 5:51 pm