Rhubarb Rolls

My dad used to make these rhubarb rolls when I was young and I didn’t really like them. I think I just didn’t appreciate them. But I saw rhubarb in the grocery store the other day and immediately thought of making these rolls for Hubby. Growing up, we always had these for breakfast but they are sweet enough that they could be served for dessert as well. The rhubarb has a tangy tartness that balances out the sweetness of this recipe. We both really enjoyed them and Hubby even had two!

See that pink syrup on the plate. That’s the key to the success of these rolls. It’s the basting sauce mixed with the syrup in the pan while baking. Hubby thought it was weird to bake these rolls in so much “water” – I explained that it was a very sugary water that would make these rolls delicious. Be sure to pour some of this sauce over the rolls that you put on your plate! It’s fantastic!

Rhubarb Rolls – from my Dad – makes 8 rolls
Syrup:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water

Biscuit Dough:
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cups milk – I used Soymilk

Filling:
3 Tbsp melted butter – I used Earth Balance
5 cups chopped rhubarb – divided into 2 c and 3 c – I cut the 3 cups for the filling smaller than the 2 cups for the sauce

Sauce:
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup water

Combine 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water; boil 5 min. Pour into greased rectangular baking pan. (I used a 9×13 glass casserole dish).

Make biscuit dough by sifting flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add shortening and milk and stir lightly.

Knead on floured board. Roll into a 12 inch square ~1/3 inch thick.

Brush with melted butter. Spread dough with 3 cups of cut rhubarb and roll as for jelly rolls.

Cut into 1 1/2 inch slices and place in syrup in pan.

Bake at 400 for 40 min. Make sauce by boiling 2 cups cut rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/3 cup water. During baking, baste with sauce. (I baked the rolls for 10 minutes and then poured the sauce on and baked the remaining 30 minutes).

13 Responses to “Pomegranate Cranberry Quinoa Salad”

Smitten Sugar — January 20, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I just made Quinoa for the first time myself this week. Love the addition of pomegranate. I will have to try it out!

Evan Thomas — January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love quinoa! Never tried it with these ingredients. Great recipe!

Chelsea — January 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love quinoa, especially in breakfast form! Never had it with pomegranates, yay!

The Small Boston Kitchen — January 20, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Glad you liked! It’s one of my favorites. Also packages up really nicely for a healthy take-to-work lunch!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 20, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I adore quinoa because it is so healthy and so filling!

ErinsFoodFiles — January 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Yum yum yum! What a yummy looking quinoa dish! I love quinoa, so if you’re looking to find more quinoa recipes, feel free to browse my blog. 🙂

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet — January 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I love the versatility of quinoa – once you start cooking with it, it’s hard to stop . . . we think it makes a great breakfast, too! Warmed with milk, fruit & a little maple syrup or agave? Energy for the day!

Nisrine|Dinners and Dreams — January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love a good quinoa recipe. This one sounds worth a try.

Shannon — January 21, 2011 at 1:47 am

LOVE quinoa and poms 🙂 this looks like a delicious way to enjoy both ingredients!!

Daisy — January 21, 2011 at 4:17 pm

don’t worry, I am officially the last one.

Megan — January 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’m glad you tried it! I love quinoa. I think it’s second to Israeli couscous in my book. And pomegranates — love them. This sounds delicious!

kitchenmisfit — January 23, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I am surprised by the chicken stock! It seems like it should be a sweet dish. I love quinoa and my husband does too!

Cheryl — January 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I have been reading about quinoa the “superfood” and how good it is for us. I bought some awhile back but hadn’t used it so I decided to try your recipe. OMG! I love it! I didn’t have pomegranate seeds and instead of almonds I used toasted pecans and also added orange zest. I will be using quinoa a lot now. Thanks!