Rhubarb Rolls

My dad used to make these rhubarb rolls when I was young and I didn’t really like them. I think I just didn’t appreciate them. But I saw rhubarb in the grocery store the other day and immediately thought of making these rolls for Hubby. Growing up, we always had these for breakfast but they are sweet enough that they could be served for dessert as well. The rhubarb has a tangy tartness that balances out the sweetness of this recipe. We both really enjoyed them and Hubby even had two!

See that pink syrup on the plate. That’s the key to the success of these rolls. It’s the basting sauce mixed with the syrup in the pan while baking. Hubby thought it was weird to bake these rolls in so much “water” – I explained that it was a very sugary water that would make these rolls delicious. Be sure to pour some of this sauce over the rolls that you put on your plate! It’s fantastic!

Rhubarb Rolls – from my Dad – makes 8 rolls
Syrup:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water

Biscuit Dough:
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cups milk – I used Soymilk

Filling:
3 Tbsp melted butter – I used Earth Balance
5 cups chopped rhubarb – divided into 2 c and 3 c – I cut the 3 cups for the filling smaller than the 2 cups for the sauce

Sauce:
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup water

Combine 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water; boil 5 min. Pour into greased rectangular baking pan. (I used a 9×13 glass casserole dish).

Make biscuit dough by sifting flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add shortening and milk and stir lightly.

Knead on floured board. Roll into a 12 inch square ~1/3 inch thick.

Brush with melted butter. Spread dough with 3 cups of cut rhubarb and roll as for jelly rolls.

Cut into 1 1/2 inch slices and place in syrup in pan.

Bake at 400 for 40 min. Make sauce by boiling 2 cups cut rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, 1 1/3 cup water. During baking, baste with sauce. (I baked the rolls for 10 minutes and then poured the sauce on and baked the remaining 30 minutes).

14 Responses to “Raspberry Chipotle Jam”

Samantha — January 22, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Raspberry and chipotle! what a combo. I love this idea. I could put chipotle in anything and be happy.

• beantownbaker — January 22nd, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

Chipotle is a flavor I’m learning to love as I use it more and more!

Ashley @ My Midwest Table — January 23, 2014 at 10:32 am

Holy yum! This jam reminds me of the sauce in one of my favorite appetizers from a little restaurant in Kansas. It was raspberry chipotle sauce combined with cream cheese and black beans, and it was served warm with tortilla chips. The best!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2014 @ 2:15 pm

Is it So Long Saloon by chance?…

If so, check back on Tuesday…

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2014 @ 2:17 pm

BTW, I just saw in your bio that you went to Purdue – I did too! Aero engineering for me. Crazy about that shooting this week…

Ashley @ My Midwest Table — January 23, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Yes, So Long Saloon! We lived in Manhattan for a few years while my husband worked on his PhD. Can’t wait to see what you’ve cooked up on Tuesday!

Goodness, what a coincidence that you are a Purdue alumna too! Yes, so crazy and so sad.

Shannon — January 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm

this is definitely one i’ll need to make, great flavor combo 🙂

Nutmeg Nanny — February 4, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Oh gosh, this is such a fun flavor combination 🙂 I can’t wait to try this out!

Jac — September 10, 2014 at 10:57 am

I am super excited to try this recipe out. I love idea of the sweet of the fruit and the heat of the pepper. I will let you know how mine turns out.

*I just moved to Boston which is how I found your website. I’m sorta sad that you moved back to Ohio because I would love to meet you. 😀

• beantownbaker — September 12th, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

Hope it turns out well for you! We love this jam. It’s really good on a breakfast sandwich.

MezzoBetsy — September 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Oh, yum! I’m a great fan of using jams, marmalades and chutneys with meat in the crockpot or as a glaze on roasts. This would be perfect on a pork tenderloin.

Joy — January 9, 2015 at 7:41 pm

how do you make it without the jam maker? I have a breadmaking machine that can make jelly, would it work about the same?

Lucinds — July 7, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Are there any water bath instructions?

AGEN SGP RESMI — November 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Thats look so delicious.. nice sharing