Dairy Free Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla Ice Cream Cupcakes

It’s that time of year again. When the suns shows it’s bright face for long hours and the temperature starts rising. That means it’s time for Ice Cream. Now I know some people enjoy ice cream year round. Heck, think of the lines you see at JP Licks or at Graeters during the winter. It’s somewhat crazy. To me summertime means ice cream time.

As many of you know, I’m lactose intolerant. This makes ice cream time (I mean summertime) very hard on me. Before I found out I was LI, I was a regular ice cream eater. My dad loves ice cream too and I think that’s where I got it from.

I will admit that there are some dairy free ice creams out there, but in all honesty, they’re just not the same. They lack the smooth creaminess of a great ice cream. So sometimes I splurge a little and eat ice cream during the summer. My stomach reminds me how bad of an idea it was, but it’s always worth it.

When I saw the announcement about the Ice Cream Cupcake Blogging event again this year (check out the ice cream cupcakes I made last year), I knew I wanted to do at least one dairy free version. I went with a classic flavor combo – chocolate + vanilla + strawberry. YUM!

I used my favorite vegan chocolate cupcake recipe for these guys. I made the full sized. Then I used the cone method to remove a large cone from the cupcakes. I put a small scoop of Tofutti vanilla ice cream into each cupcake and then dropped in a frozen strawberry. I threw the cupcakes back into the freezer for a while to let them set while I made some strawberry cream cheese frosting (I just added about 1/2 cup of strawberries to a classic cream cheese frosting).

I wanted to have it be more like a glaze, so I thinned it out quite a bit. Looking back, I think thick cream cheese frosting would have done better on these cupcakes. I’d also use fresh strawberries in the cupcakes because the frozen ones were hard! After a quick zap in the microwave, they were perfect!

I am submitting these cupcakes into the blogging event hosted by Cupcake Project and Scoopalicious. Be sure to check back to vote for their reader’s choice cupcakes. Voting will be the first week in June.

11 Responses to “Oatmeal Chocolate Cinnamon Cookies”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm

These cookies look great! Hope you feel better soon Jen!

Megan — January 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

These look awesome. I love chocolate and cinnamon together.

Feel better!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 24, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Love oatmeal cookies! Hope you’re feeling better 🙂

Bridget — January 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Aw, I didn’t realize you hadn’t gone to the swap! What a bummer. But then at least you didn’t have to share these cookies. 😉

Alicia — January 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Yum. I really love the combo of chocolate and cinnamon! Glad they came out well.

Feel better!!

Shannon — January 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm

hope you were able to get some rest and are feeling better! we missed you, but hopefully we’ll have another chance to catch up soon. these look great, and i’ve got some cinnamon chips in my house too 😉

Elizabeth — January 24, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I’m not sure I’ve had chocolate & cinnamon together before but I bet the combination is great! And if it’s in an oatmeal cookie, you can’t really go wrong.

Heather Lynne — January 25, 2011 at 12:33 am

I love cinnamon chips and put them in oatmeal cookies. I never thought of putting them in chocolate chip oatmeal cookies-they look amazing!

Blog is the New Black — January 25, 2011 at 1:22 am

Jenn, these sound awesome, and I have some cinnamon chips to use!

We Are Not Martha — January 25, 2011 at 1:24 am

These look wonderful! I’m sure being stuck in the house with a whole batch of them made you feel a little bit better, right? I love cookies with cinnamon chips in them!

Sues

Elizabeth — January 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm

These look so delicious. Getting sick on important (dessert related!) events is the absolute worst. I think another cookie swap is in your future.