Sugar Cookie Bars

From the second I saw these bars pop up in my Google Reader, I knew I had to make them. I love the taste of sugar cookies, but sometimes it’s just not worth the time and effort. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed doing the sugar cookie comparison last December. I also really enjoyed trying royal icing for the first time this St Patty’s Day. But, sometimes I want a sugar cookie without all the fuss.

This recipe is perfect for those times. It consists of a delicious sugar cookie based topped with a super sweet buttercream frosting. These bars could be made for any occasion and come together so quickly. It was also fun to bust out my large offset spatula. I’m so used to frosting with a piping bag, but I managed alright.

The next time I make these (and I have a feeling it will be soon), I will definitely cut them smaller. For some reason I had in my head that these needed to be cut into 30 bars. I was likely thinking of a different bar recipe, but I just cut them into 30 bars without thinking. Let me tell you, when you make a jelly roll worth of cookie bars, it makes 30 big bars. Of course the size of these bars didn’t have an impact on how quickly they disappeared. I took these to a weekly get-together and everyone loved them.

Sugar Cookie Bars – from The Repressed Pasty Chef
1 cup butter; room temp.
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well.

In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined.

Spread on a greased baking sheet (I lined my 11×17 jelly roll pan with parchment paper).

Bake for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting1/2 cup butter at room temp
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (optional)

For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy.

Add vanilla and salt.

Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency.

Spread over cooled cookie (and add sprinkles), then cut into bars.

14 Responses to “Oven Roasted Chickpeas”

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I was also totally inspired by the same blog post and made them with a spicy kick! These are totally addictive!

Kathy Day — February 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Noms! I love to roast chickpeas with Asparagus in the spring. It’s one of my favorite quick meals, but I still havent cooked them crispy for snacking yet…. You are now person number 5 (or more I lost count) to post these so I think they are in odred very soon!

Cathy — February 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm

looks good! I saw a recipe from the whole living magazine last week that I was going to try too.

Pyjammy Pam — February 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Okay, that is seriously spooky. I was *just* about to go look for a recipe for these (I bought a can of chickpeas a few weeks ago to make some) and up popped your blog in my google reader. Woo!

Janelovrut — February 2, 2011 at 12:50 am

Mmm, so glad everyone is loving these. And now I know what to make for my friend’s superbowl party! Thanks for the reminder!

Sarah C — February 2, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love that you use canned chickpeas for this! When I saw the title I thought “mmm, tasty, but you probably have to do dried chickpeas and blah blah blah”. But you don’t! And it’s a perfect quick use for the extra cans I have in the pantry so that I don’t have to keep making hummus. 🙂

I’ve already put some of your Super Bowl recipes on my menu for Sunday, including the mini ham & cheese sandwiches. We live in Pittsburgh and are huge Steelers fans, so we’re REALLY EXCITED!!!

Jen @ — February 2, 2011 at 2:41 am

Hope your Superbowl menu turns out great. Although I have to admit, I’ll be rooting against your team!

Shannon — February 2, 2011 at 5:21 am

love the smoked paprika 🙂

Jessica — February 2, 2011 at 5:46 am

I have yet to try these and really just need to jump in and do it! Thanks for the reminder 😉

Katie — February 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Have been meaning to make these! So yummy to snack on and crazy good for you. Need to make these soon..

Neev — February 4, 2011 at 1:17 am

Great snack. What if I am dried chickpeas not canned. Does it need to be soaked overnight?

Lisa @Karma Per Diem — February 4, 2011 at 1:29 am

How interesting! I love chickpeas and am going to make these this weekend! Thanks!

Jen @ — February 4, 2011 at 2:05 am

Neev – I’m really not sure how to do this with dried chickpeas. I’ve only used canned. I would assume you would want to soak them overnight first.

Pyjammy Pam — March 30, 2011 at 11:26 am