March Madness (Crinkle Sugar) Cookies

It’s that time of year again – March Madness! I had added a star to this recipe when it popped up around St Patty’s Day. I made a mental note to keep these in mind whenever I had some extra egg yolks. And believe it or, I had two extra egg yolks a couple days later. We were going over to a friend’s house to watch Purdue play in the tournament (Go Boilers!). I decided to make these cookies festive for the game using Purdue’s gold and black. Everyone loved these cookies. They’re basically snickerdoodles dipped in colored sugar. You could make these for any occasion with any colored sugars.

Crinkle Sugar Cookies – from How to Eat a Cupcake, adapted from AllRecipes.com – I got 22 cookies using my cookie scoop10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.

Cream butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl.

Add egg yolks and vanilla, and beat for 2 more minutes.

With mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture a little at a time.

Roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a ball and roll it in some sugar. Place the dough balls 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes, until tops are cracked and the edges are just brown (the centers will still be very soft). Cool on wire racks.

6 Responses to “Operation Baking Girls – Round 13”

Cupcake Activist — October 12, 2009 at 10:41 pm

It’s so cool to see so many people involved in Operation Baking Gals. Those soldiers are definitely going to feel the love from our goodies!

Kristy — October 13, 2009 at 5:25 am

I’m so excited to learn about this! my brother is in the navy and I’ve seen how soldiers react when freshly baked cookies show up! Looking forward to reading you blog!

KnitterlyJess — October 13, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I (thankfully) dont have anyone you could sponsor, but just wanted to let you know how awesome it is that you’re doing this. My husband has deployed twice to Iraq in the past few years, each time for a year, and homebaked goodies were always among his favorite things to recieve. He recently got out of the marine corps but his unit is heading to afghanastan in the coming months, if I hear of anyone in need of extra goodies I’ll be sure to think of you girls! Thanks so much for supporting the troops!

stephchows — October 13, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Operation baking gals is so amazing!! Jon is going to love everything you sent!

comfycook — January 22, 2010 at 3:45 am

This is a wonderful idea. The soldiers certainly need love from back home and what better way than cookies.

PS_Iloveyou — January 18, 2011 at 12:24 am

This is the first time I’d heard of the Baking GALS. I went and signed up!

Thanks!