Crockpot Pulled Pork

Hubby and I have made 3 or 4 pulled pork recipes in the last year or so. Each one was good but nothing amazing – we’ve had some that are too BBQ-saucey, tried the root beer based recipes, and a couple others. Until now. This pulled pork is going to be our recipe from here on out. It has great flavor and a little kick to it. It’s not overly BBQ-saucey either.

As an aside, Happy 250th Post to Me!

I rubbed the meat 2 days prior to cooking it and it cooked on low in the crockpot for about 10 hours. When we took it out to pull apart, it was very tender and flavorful. We were tempted to eat it then, but we stuck to the recipe and added the BBQ sauce and threw it back in for another 45 minutes or so.

Pulled Pork – from The Way The Cookie Crumbles – originally from Cooks Illustrated – serves 6

Printable RecipeSpice Rub:
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper - I used black pepper

1 (6-8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder
½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional) - I omitted
2 cups barbecue sauce

Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl.

Massage spice rub into meat (I recommend doing this on a jelly roll pan or large cookie sheet with sides). Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. For stronger flavor, the roast can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. (I refrigerated ours for 2 days).

Unwrap roast and place it in slow cooker liner. Add liquid smoke, if using, and 1/4 cup water. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, until meat is fork-tender.

Transfer roast to cutting board (again, I used a large cookie sheet with sides. This helped to contain the mess); discard liquid in liner. Pull by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.

Place shredded meat back in slow cooker liner; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce, and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.

30 Responses to “Crockpot Pulled Pork”

Taylor — March 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I don’t really like pork, but you make it looks so good! :)

Happy 250th post. <3

[http://dlishfoods.wordpress.com]

Jen — March 24, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Thanks Taylor! This really is an amazing pulled pork recipe if you are ever in the mood for pork.

Mermaid Sweets — March 24, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I really need a crock pot – this looks great and I am bookmarking it for when I do get one, my husband loves pulled pork sandwiches.

Ashley — March 25, 2009 at 12:15 am

This looks awesome! I love making pulled pork in the crockpot :)

Stephanie — March 25, 2009 at 2:27 am

This looks great! I have been in search of a good pulled pork recipe.

Happy 250th post!

Kerstin — March 25, 2009 at 3:15 am

I love all the spices you used on the pork – it looks so tender and yummy! Congrats on 250 posts!

Ashley — June 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Hey Jen, this is Ashley (formerly) from Performance in Evendale! I found your blog through some others and I love it …. we tried this recipe last night and it. was. amazing. Thank you! Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous, can’t wait to see the final pictures.

Katrina — June 14, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Hi! I made your recipe last night for my extended family. They RAVED about it! I posted a link back to this post. Thanks again!

Jen — July 1, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Hey Ashley! I always get a kick out of when people I know in real life find my blog. We LOVE this recipe.

michelle — October 5, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Well, 6 months later, I come upon your recipe through Google and it is amazing!! I served this up to some dinner guests and we all loved it!! It IS the best pulled pork recipe and I thank you for leaving it here for me to find!

nupike — February 1, 2010 at 7:13 pm

We tried this recipe over the weekend (with a couple of minor tweaks) and it came out great!

Thanks for posting.

alamodestuff — February 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm

This is our new favorite pulled pork recipe! Thanks for posting it!

Joshua and Stacie — March 6, 2010 at 1:23 am

About how many did this serve?

Jen — March 7, 2010 at 4:29 am

Joshua and Stacie – the recipe says it serves 6, but I’d say it serves more like 8.

Nichole — August 10, 2010 at 6:42 pm

thanks for the recipe. I’ve been searching for a good one.

Anonymous — October 18, 2012 at 2:19 am

This was a great recipe! It was my first pork roast, and it was so easy. My 7 lb roast was fork tender in 8 hours.

MK — June 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Started this the other day and had it in the crockpot all day today. So delicious. Very satisfied husband. Thanks for posting this!

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

So glad your husband enjoyed this. This recipe is in our regular rotation.

nonniz — July 4, 2013 at 10:52 am

Love this recipe. Have used it many times and it always gets rave reviews. Making it again this weekend.

• beantownbaker — July 4th, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

Glad you enjoy it! We love it too and make it on a regular weekend. Especially since it freezes so well!

Lauretta Dane — August 22, 2013 at 10:12 am

What Barbeque sauce did you prefer. There are so many different flavors out there these days?

Stephanie Walsh — October 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Only complaint from people when I made this was…”Why didn’t you make more??!?!” Love Love Love this recipe!
    Thanks for publishing!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:25 am

I get that a lot too! So glad you enjoyed it!!

Val — October 21, 2013 at 6:36 pm

This recipe is awesome!!! I have only made pulled pork a few times but was never a huge fan as I found them to be too BBQ sauce flavored! I saw this recipe on pinterest and decided to try it tonight for dinner! OMG it is FANTBULOUS!!!!!! I love the rb idea and honestly I could have done without the BBQ sauce as the drippings and sauce in the pot was amazing with the pork on its own! I did add the bq sauce however and was still quite impressed! This recipe had changed my whole opinion of pulled pork! Kudos on a great spice rub blend!!!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:28 am

So glad I was able to convert you to a pulled pork fan! I actually have a batch of this cooking in the crockpot as I type. It’s going to cook overnight for my sister and her husband since they’re new parents and it freezes so well.

Brooke — October 22, 2013 at 12:21 am

This is the easiest and I’m sure tastiest recipe I’ve ever found. I just rubbed all the spices on the pork and it’s marinating in the fridge right now…. I will cook it tomorrow morning I’m very excited about serving this to my family. I’ll come back and post how it was!

• beantownbaker — October 23rd, 2013 @ 12:29 am

I’ve got a batch cooking in the crockpot right now! I hope you and your family enjoy it.

Brigette — December 12, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I tried this tonight and OMG it was delicious! That rub really makes it. I couldn’t let it sit in the fridge for days but it was still amazing. I will definitely be making this again.

• beantownbaker — December 17th, 2013 @ 10:55 am

So glad you enjoyed it! We really love this recipe and make it all the time.