Vegan chocolate / banana / caramel cupcakes

Our monthly cooking club decided to cut me (and my stomach) a break this month. The theme was “All the cheese is in the movie” aka, we’d watch an overly cheesey movie but make all the food dairy free. I enjoyed the evening and think everyone liked the challenge. I decided to make some vegan cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It’s a great cupcake cookbook. I need to use it more often.

I’ve made the chocolate vegan cupcake recipe before (they were fierce!) so I knew that would be perfect. The cupcakes have a pretty round dome and are very moist. It’s a very good cupcake.

I also had this banana caramel sauce that was given to us as a gift. I knew I wanted to use that. Then I decided to try the chocolate banana mousse that is also in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. So I decided to make a chocolate cupcake with a slice of banana and some banana caramel sauce in the middle, topped with banana chocolate mousse and banana caramel sauce. That’s a mouthful!

The mousse is made with tofu which made me a little nervous. I’m weird about tofu. I love the Tofutti products, especially the Better than cream cheese and the Tofutti cuties. But, for some reason, working with tofu just kinda grosses me out. I think it’s the texture on my hands. I’m weird. I know. This mousse is amazing. It’s not as light and fluffy as the mousse my Mother in Law makes (which Hubby LOVES), instead it is quite dense and actually perfect for piping on top of a cupcake. It was very good and you would never have guessed it’s dairy free.

Vegan chocolate cupcakes – from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.

Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain.

Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Put one PB cup into each cupcake. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Vegan chocolate banana mousse – from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 (12.3 oz) pkg extra-firm tofu, drained
1/4 cup plain soy milk
2 Tbsp agave syrup or pure maple syrup – I used 2 Tbsp sugar because I was out of maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (12 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips
1 very ripe banana

Crumble tofu into blender. Add milk, agave, and vanilla. Puree until smooth.

Add banana and puree until smooth. (leave this out for just chocolate mousse)

Melt chocolate in double boiler. Allow to cool 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the chocolate to the blender and blend until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides a couple times.

Transfer mousse to airtight container or a bowl covered with plastic wrap.

Chill for an hour (or longer).

To Assemble cupcake:
12 chocolate cupcakes
chocolate banana mousse
banana caramel sauce
1 banana

After cupcakes are completely cooled, use the cone method to remove some of the cupcake.

Pipe a tiny amount of mousse into cupcake. Add a banana slice and replace “lid” of cupcake.

Pipe mousse onto top of cupcakes. Drizzle with banana caramel sauce.

15 Responses to “Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls”

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — August 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love blueberries in pancakes and waffles. They’ve gotta be good in cinnamon rolls too!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life — August 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Yum! I have always wanted to make my own cinnamon rolls but have always been a tad nervous about he process!!! These look amazing with the blueberries!!

P.S. I found your blog today when you posted that you were from Boston on Tina’s blog! I am from just outside of Boston too!

nicole — September 1, 2011 at 3:41 am

these look amazing. I love cinnamon rolls, and this combo sounds great!

Kelly Delafield — October 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Can you tell me how to make the frosting?

Maureen — April 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I love the blueberry, I tried swapping them with raspberries and they were just as good if not better. Love the base recipe.

Aimee — July 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I made these today cheating with crescent roll dough. They were amazing!

cindy chisholm — February 16, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Da bomb! Brilliant, as well as yummy:)
    Thank you! I will make an impression at brunch tomorrow..lol

Robin — April 24, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Made these for Easter breakfast (blueberry cinnamon rolls, hardboiled eggs, and thick sliced ham slices). What a delicious treat! I don’t know if I’ll ever go back “regular” cinnamon rolls again! I cut the recipe in half. Perfect amount for my husband, myself, and 3 teenaged boys. Honestly, I can’t say enough about this recipe. These rolls are worth every minute spent making them. To avoid having to get up so early, I saved the second rise for the morning. After slicing the rolls and placing them in the greased pan, I covered them tightly with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge overnight. I took them out of the fridge and let them set at room temperature to rise for about an hour before placing them in the oven. They were perfect! Thanks so much!

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 2:50 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!! I’ve done the second rise the next morning as well.

Robin — April 26, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Forgot to mention that a step was left out of the recipe: it never tells you to sprinkle the rolled out dough with sugar and cinnamon mixture (& 2 T flour?).

• beantownbaker — April 27th, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I updated the recipe to reflect this.

Karina — June 14, 2014 at 9:13 am

Hi there – I was wondering if this dough would be okay to freeze? I’m a novice when it comes to anything baking related!

Glennis — July 18, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I found that the cinnamon was over powering. I will add 3 tsp next time 4 Tablespoons was way to much.

Diane — July 24, 2016 at 2:05 pm

Is there any kneading involved???