Vegan chocolate / banana / caramel cupcakes

Our monthly cooking club decided to cut me (and my stomach) a break this month. The theme was “All the cheese is in the movie” aka, we’d watch an overly cheesey movie but make all the food dairy free. I enjoyed the evening and think everyone liked the challenge. I decided to make some vegan cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. It’s a great cupcake cookbook. I need to use it more often.

I’ve made the chocolate vegan cupcake recipe before (they were fierce!) so I knew that would be perfect. The cupcakes have a pretty round dome and are very moist. It’s a very good cupcake.

I also had this banana caramel sauce that was given to us as a gift. I knew I wanted to use that. Then I decided to try the chocolate banana mousse that is also in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. So I decided to make a chocolate cupcake with a slice of banana and some banana caramel sauce in the middle, topped with banana chocolate mousse and banana caramel sauce. That’s a mouthful!

The mousse is made with tofu which made me a little nervous. I’m weird about tofu. I love the Tofutti products, especially the Better than cream cheese and the Tofutti cuties. But, for some reason, working with tofu just kinda grosses me out. I think it’s the texture on my hands. I’m weird. I know. This mousse is amazing. It’s not as light and fluffy as the mousse my Mother in Law makes (which Hubby LOVES), instead it is quite dense and actually perfect for piping on top of a cupcake. It was very good and you would never have guessed it’s dairy free.

Vegan chocolate cupcakes – from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Whisk the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside a few minutes to get good and curdled.

Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, and almond extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat till no large lumps remain.

Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Put one PB cup into each cupcake. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Vegan chocolate banana mousse – from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
1 (12.3 oz) pkg extra-firm tofu, drained
1/4 cup plain soy milk
2 Tbsp agave syrup or pure maple syrup – I used 2 Tbsp sugar because I was out of maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (12 oz) pkg semisweet chocolate chips
1 very ripe banana

Crumble tofu into blender. Add milk, agave, and vanilla. Puree until smooth.

Add banana and puree until smooth. (leave this out for just chocolate mousse)

Melt chocolate in double boiler. Allow to cool 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the chocolate to the blender and blend until combined. Be sure to scrape down the sides a couple times.

Transfer mousse to airtight container or a bowl covered with plastic wrap.

Chill for an hour (or longer).

To Assemble cupcake:
12 chocolate cupcakes
chocolate banana mousse
banana caramel sauce
1 banana

After cupcakes are completely cooled, use the cone method to remove some of the cupcake.

Pipe a tiny amount of mousse into cupcake. Add a banana slice and replace “lid” of cupcake.

Pipe mousse onto top of cupcakes. Drizzle with banana caramel sauce.

16 Responses to “Coconut Layer Cake Filled with Lemon Curd”

Erica @ Inandaroundtown — April 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm

WOW – I would like to have a piece of that cake as soon as possible! looks beautiful and delicious!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — April 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

This cake looks beautiful and I love the addition of toasted coconut!

Christina — April 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I love love cakes with coconut. So delicious.

Maria — April 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Beautiful cake!

DeliciousDish — April 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Totally agree – the more layers the better! The cake looks stunning!

Paula Kelly-Bourque — April 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Had I been at your dinner party you wouldn’t have had to cook anything. I would have just completely indulged in this gorgeous cake!

Evan — April 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This cake looks incredible! coconut and lemon are two of my favorite flavors; I’m glad you don’t have to choose one or the other with this recipe.

Bianca Garcia — April 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

This sounds wonderful. Coconut with lemon curd, yummmm!

Taryn — April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

This looks fantastic – so springy and beautiful, and absolutely delish 🙂

ammy 92 — April 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm

what a wonderful cake!

ErinsFoodFiles — April 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Beautiful cake! I’ve been craving a coconut cake, but I know too many people who don’t like coconut cake that if I made it I wouldn’t have anyone to share. Boo.

Shannon — April 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm

ooh, fabulous. love the lemon curd-coconut combo, and in a layer cake, fun!!

A Boston Food Diary — April 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

OF COURSE 4 is better than 2!!! This looks amazing….I love the idea of lemon and coconut together-and it’s gorgeous!

Aimee — April 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love lemon curd, love coconut, especially love a cake that lets me “frost” the sides with ease. This looks so yummy!!

Nutmeg Nanny — April 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Such a delicious cake! I honestly didn’t know a 6 inch was half of a 9 inch….thank you 🙂

Kelly Jaremco — April 29, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I told my girlfriend I would bake her a cake for her birthday this Sunday !!! I got lemon curd and coconut stuck in my brain, so I started googling… which led me to your page !!! This recipie looks almost perfect !!

Couple questions…

Do you think the coconut extract was too strong for the cake, because you also have the browned coconut pcs too? I was considering vanilla bean cake, lemon curd and toasted coconut on the outside… but perhaps that wouldn’t be enough coconut flavour…. your thoughts?

Lastly… what did you use as the frosting to keep the toasted coconut on? It looks like whipping cream…. ?!?!?

Thanks !!!