Smashed Chickpea Salad

As my “must-bake” list continues to grow, I find that I rarely save non-baked goods as favorites anymore. In an effort to try more new recipes for lunch and dinner I’ve made a conscience effort to start saving meal recipes instead of just cookies and cakes. This is one of the recipes that caught my eye.

This salad comes together in no time and is quite tasty. I forgot to add the olive oil and it was still delicious. We both really enjoyed these sandwiches for lunch one Saturday.

Smashed Chickpea Salad – from Smitten Kitchen
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons pitted, halved and very thinly sliced black olives – I omitted, we both don’t like olives
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Zest and juice from half a lemon
Couple good pinches of salt
A few grinds of black pepper
A few glugs of olive oil

Mix everything but the olive oil in a small to midsize bowl. Very lightly smash the chickpea mixture with the back of a fork or a potato masher. You’re not looking for a hummus-like puree but something closer to a coarse chop with a few smaller bits to hold it together. Add the glugs of olive oil, mix it lightly and enjoy.

We made sandwiches with a small amount of mayo and roasted red peppers on toast. I even forgot the olive oil and it was still delicious.

7 Responses to “Honey Mustard Pretzels”

Julie — October 29, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Good luck with the storm. Be safe, glad to read you turned around and went home thinking about the end of the day!
    I think if I was still in New York state I’d be baking up a storm to prepare for the Sandy Blizzard myself. Here in Alabama we can only hope for the best for you all on the shorelines up there!

Jen — October 30, 2012 at 2:36 am

Thanks. So far so good where I live. We haven’t list power yet, so that’s good!

Peggy — March 5, 2013 at 8:52 am

I’m the same way with snacks at home! Once I get some in my hand, it’s over! These would definitely disappear rather quickly in our house, too =)

• beantownbaker — March 6th, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one like that!

Sharon — March 8, 2014 at 8:32 am

I have tried a couple different recipes for the beloved hone mustard pretzels but to no avail…they always remain kind of “sticky”, so I am eager to try yours but I think they too will be sticky….are they?Why can’t you find the honey mustard pretzels anymore except in small bags????

• beantownbaker — March 8th, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

I agree. They were a bit sticky the next day. But the first day, they weren’t. If they are when you take them out, just toss them and bake a little while longer.

Paula — July 7, 2015 at 8:21 am

The pretzels were very soft and nasty. I was hoping they were going to be like the Hanover Honey Mustard pretzels but are not at all. They don’t have a lot of flavor and the kids didn’t like that they were soft. I would not make them again.