Alton Brown’s Overnight Cinnamon Rolls

Hubby’s mom and boyfriend were coming to visit one weekend and I wanted to make something special for brunch. They were planning on rolling into town around 10am and I’m not much of a morning person so I wanted things I could make ahead of time. I decided on a quiche and these overnight cinnamon rolls. I happen to love Alton Brown and his show Good Eats. I DVR it and watch religiously. I love the science behind food. Then I saw these cinnamon rolls in Joelen’s blog (btw check out her funny story about when Joelen met Alton Brown!) and knew they would be perfect.

I was a little worried because the rolls did not do much rising during their 30 minutes in the oven with boiling water. They hadn’t poofed too much, but I threw them in the oven anyways and hoped for the best. I guess it was my lucky day because they poofed right up while they were baking. They turned out delicious and I’ll definitely be making these again.

Alton Brown’s Overnight Cinnamon Rolls – from FoodNetwork.com
4 large egg yolks, room temperature
1 large whole egg, room temperature
2 ounces sugar, approximately 1/4 cup
3 ounces unsalted butter, melted, approximately 6 tablespoons
6 ounces buttermilk, room temperature
20 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 cups, plus additional for dusting
1 package instant dry yeast, approximately 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
Vegetable oil or cooking spray

Filling:
8 ounces light brown sugar, approximately 1 cup packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Pinch salt
3/4-ounce unsalted butter, melted, approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons

Icing:
2 1/2 ounces cream cheese, softened, approximately 1/4 cup
3 tablespoons milk
5 1/2 ounces powdered sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups

For the dough: in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, sugar, butter, and buttermilk. Add approximately 2 cups of the flour along with the yeast and salt; whisk until moistened and combined. Remove the whisk attachment and replace with a dough hook. Add all but 3/4 cup of the remaining flour and knead on low speed for 5 minutes. Check the consistency of the dough, add more flour if necessary; the dough should feel soft and moist but not sticky. Knead on low speed 5 minutes more or until the dough clears the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead by hand about 30 seconds. Lightly oil a large bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl, lightly oil the top of the dough, cover and let double in volume, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Mix until well incorporated. Set aside until ready to use.

Butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently shape the dough into a rectangle with the long side nearest you. Roll into an 18 by 12-inch rectangle. Brush the dough with the 3/4-ounce of melted butter, leaving 1/2-inch border along the top edge. Sprinkle the filling mixture over the dough, leaving a 3/4-inch border along the top edge; gently press the filling into the dough. Beginning with the long edge nearest you, roll the dough into a tight cylinder. Firmly pinch the seam to seal and roll the cylinder seam side down. Very gently squeeze the cylinder to create even thickness. Using a serrated knife, slice the cylinder into 1 1/2-inch rolls; yielding 12 rolls. Arrange rolls cut side down in the baking dish; cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight or up to 16 hours.

Remove the rolls from the refrigerator and place in an oven that is turned off. Fill a shallow pan 2/3-full of boiling water and set on the rack below the rolls. Close the oven door and let the rolls rise until they look slightly puffy; approximately 30 minutes. Remove the rolls and the shallow pan of water from the oven.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

When the oven is ready, place the rolls on the middle rack and bake until golden brown, or until the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, approximately 30 minutes.

While the rolls are cooling slightly, make the icing by whisking the cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer until creamy. Add the milk and whisk until combined. Sift in the powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth. Spread over the rolls and serve immediately.

31 Responses to “Pretzel Bites”

Natalie — January 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these for so long–might have to bust them out for the Superbowl next weekend 🙂

Ellen — January 14, 2013 at 6:17 am

I made these after spotting them on Pinterest. I made them ‘just because’. They are quite tasty.

• beantownbaker — January 14th, 2013 @ 3:46 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!

Jill — January 17, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I made these with my 4 year old, we had so much fun and they are delicous!!!! Easy too. Loved this!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

• beantownbaker — January 18th, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

So glad you liked them!

Bryn — April 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm

We made these during a play date. Each kid got a piece to make their own shape. They are so cute and yummy!

• beantownbaker — April 11th, 2013 @ 8:44 am

What a fun activity for the kids!

Shayna — June 28, 2013 at 3:16 am

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project
    in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.

You have done a marvellous job!

Samantha Maynard — July 8, 2013 at 1:14 am

I am planning to make these for my daughter’s birthday party in a few weeks. Can the dough be made ahead? How long do they keep after making? What is the best way to reheat them if they have been made ahead? I am planning to make a test batch, but thought you could shed some insight. Also- do you think they would be good with 1/2 wheat flour? Excited to road test ’em!

• beantownbaker — July 8th, 2013 @ 9:18 am

I make pretzels and freeze them all the time. I don’t see why pretzel bites couldn’t also be frozen. Just thaw them in the fridge overnight then reheat in your oven. I haven’t tried with wheat flour, but let me know how it goes for you!

Averi — July 15, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I just made these tonight and they were so delicious!! I made a batch with salt and another with cinnamon sugar! So delicious!!

• beantownbaker — July 16th, 2013 @ 8:37 am

So glad you liked them! I love making cinnamon sugar pretzels.

Amanda — October 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm

What if I don’t have brown sugar do you acually need it or is their something else I can use?

• beantownbaker — October 6th, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

If you have molasses and white sugar, you can make brown sugar.

Amy Fox — October 31, 2013 at 11:35 am

Sadly I left my kitchenaid standing mixer in states when we moved to Germany. Can I make the dough with a hand mixer?

• beantownbaker — November 3rd, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

I think you could do this with a hand mixer. Let me know how they turn out for you!

Lauren — December 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Made these for our lake-house retreat this summer and they were gone before we even set them on the table! Making them again, but I learned my lesson and will be quadrupling the batch! That’s how good they are! Thanks for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:35 pm

We just made these for our New Years Eve party and I wish I had quadrupled the recipe! I only doubled it and they disappears so quickly!

Samantha — February 2, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Made these last night for the Superbowl. It made about 160 pretzel bites. Definitely more than 6-8 servings! They tasted a little “off” last night after we made them, but now that they’ve cooled down and we reheated them, they are delicious!

We plan on freezing about half since they taste EXACTLY like those PretzelMaker ones! Thanks!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2014 @ 4:59 pm

Good point about the serving size! I’ve updated it because this does make quite a few pretzel bites. Glad you enjoyed them.

Angela — February 2, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Just made these tonight for the first time and they are delicious! The kids and I decided to experiment so we did some with smokey monterey jack cheese stuffed inside and rolled others in cinnamon sugar after they baked. Soooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2014 @ 5:00 pm

Oh man, cheese stuffed pretzel bites? That sounds like a great experiment! Glad you and the kids enjoyed them.

Heather — April 2, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Could I use tin foil instead of parchment paper?

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 5:57 pm

Foil should work. I’d spray it with baking spray though.

Chen — May 12, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Seems like a great recipe! Could you though assume how many TBSPs are in 1 package of yeast? Thanks (:

• beantownbaker — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

An envelope of yeast usually has 2.25 tsp in it. Be sure to check the packaging to see if it’s labeled as well.

Paige — May 15, 2014 at 7:01 pm

This are awesome! I’ve made pretzels and pretzel bites before but this time I tried your recipe. Really delicious. One thing that makes it go a lot quicker is instead of rolling it into snakes from chunks of dough, I roll out the dough somewhat flat, and then cut strips from it. Then I can just roll the strips up a little bit to get them round and it’s all set.

Oh, tin foil does work even if you don’t spray it, they’re just a little tricky to get off, but it’s not a problem.

Thanks for the recipe! https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t31.0-8/p843x403/10259243_10203611442836402_762978649043400382_o.jpg

• beantownbaker — May 17th, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

That’s a brilliant idea to just roll out the dough and cut it in to strips! I’ll definitely do that next time. Yours look great!

BrynMawrGirl — October 4, 2014 at 9:53 am

I’ve made these several times and every time they are a hit. i’m making a big batch today for an octoberfest party and just wanted to say Thank You for the recipe!

Cookies003 — October 20, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Tasty recipe!

cher — February 1, 2015 at 9:23 pm

super yummy! i halved the recipe for my family, and now i’m wishing i hadn’t! great super bowl party food.