Spice Apple Bars

When I saw this recipe in Katie’s blog in the fall, I knew I’d have to make it. And boy are we glad I did. These might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever baked. Definitely in the top 10. One of hubby’s coworkers said he would do any amount of manual labor we asked of him if I made a batch of these for him.

Apple Spice bars – from Katie
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 apples, cored and diced (a little less than 2 c.) – I used Macintosh apples
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 9×13 pan with foil and baking spray (I doubled the recipe and used one 9×13 and one 8×8 pan because I wanted them to be thicker).

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.

In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugars and butter and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.

Turn mixer on slow and fold in flour mixture a little at a time until just combined. Fold in apples.

Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle top generously with cinnamon sugar.

Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving. Bars will be very soft.

8 Responses to “Deb’s Mom’s Apple Cake”

Megan — January 5, 2009 at 9:51 pm

I made that cake a few months back and it was awesome. It’s a good thing I don’t have any apples or else I’d make another one!

wifeplzak — January 5, 2009 at 10:13 pm

I have wanted to make this one for a while now, I better get on it.

bensbaby116 — January 6, 2009 at 1:43 am

Mmm, I love the smell of apple desserts baking! This looks like a great recipe. Thanks for posting. 🙂
    ~bensbaby116

Mermaid Sweets — January 6, 2009 at 2:01 am

I made this cake on Friday, and it was amazing, even though there were some problems. One, I used a silicone bundt pan because I realized too late I didn’t have a metal one, so I had to cook it forever, and in the end the inside around the cone never really cooked. I just scooped that out and the rest was delicious. Yum. P.s. Love your blog.

Joelen — January 6, 2009 at 5:17 am

Now that is an apple cake! looks delicious!

Sara Therese — January 6, 2009 at 8:11 pm

I can’t wait to try this. We’re going to Brown County this weekend, and this apple cake would be the perfect addition to the trip! Thanks for sharing!

EAT! — January 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Love all those big chunks of apple in the cake. It looks delicious!!

Acuman_dapper — April 5, 2009 at 9:33 pm

You are an amazing writer and you should contact http://www.bizymoms.com/boston/index.php to get your blog featured to their large mom community. I am sure they would love your posts. In their expert page there is a form. http://www.bizymoms.com/boston/experts.php