Spice Apple Bars

When I saw this recipe in Katie’s blog in the fall, I knew I’d have to make it. And boy are we glad I did. These might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever baked. Definitely in the top 10. One of hubby’s coworkers said he would do any amount of manual labor we asked of him if I made a batch of these for him.

Apple Spice bars – from Katie
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 apples, cored and diced (a little less than 2 c.) – I used Macintosh apples
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 9×13 pan with foil and baking spray (I doubled the recipe and used one 9×13 and one 8×8 pan because I wanted them to be thicker).

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.

In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugars and butter and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.

Turn mixer on slow and fold in flour mixture a little at a time until just combined. Fold in apples.

Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle top generously with cinnamon sugar.

Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving. Bars will be very soft.

16 Responses to “Coconut Layer Cake Filled with Lemon Curd”

Erica @ Inandaroundtown — April 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm

WOW – I would like to have a piece of that cake as soon as possible! looks beautiful and delicious!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — April 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm

This cake looks beautiful and I love the addition of toasted coconut!

Christina — April 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I love love cakes with coconut. So delicious.

Maria — April 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Beautiful cake!

DeliciousDish — April 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Totally agree – the more layers the better! The cake looks stunning!

Paula Kelly-Bourque — April 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Had I been at your dinner party you wouldn’t have had to cook anything. I would have just completely indulged in this gorgeous cake!

Evan — April 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm

This cake looks incredible! coconut and lemon are two of my favorite flavors; I’m glad you don’t have to choose one or the other with this recipe.

Bianca Garcia — April 6, 2011 at 5:34 pm

This sounds wonderful. Coconut with lemon curd, yummmm!

Taryn — April 6, 2011 at 5:49 pm

This looks fantastic – so springy and beautiful, and absolutely delish 🙂

ammy 92 — April 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm

what a wonderful cake!

ErinsFoodFiles — April 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Beautiful cake! I’ve been craving a coconut cake, but I know too many people who don’t like coconut cake that if I made it I wouldn’t have anyone to share. Boo.

Shannon — April 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm

ooh, fabulous. love the lemon curd-coconut combo, and in a layer cake, fun!!

A Boston Food Diary — April 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm

OF COURSE 4 is better than 2!!! This looks amazing….I love the idea of lemon and coconut together-and it’s gorgeous!

Aimee — April 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love lemon curd, love coconut, especially love a cake that lets me “frost” the sides with ease. This looks so yummy!!

Nutmeg Nanny — April 6, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Such a delicious cake! I honestly didn’t know a 6 inch was half of a 9 inch….thank you 🙂

Kelly Jaremco — April 29, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I told my girlfriend I would bake her a cake for her birthday this Sunday !!! I got lemon curd and coconut stuck in my brain, so I started googling… which led me to your page !!! This recipie looks almost perfect !!

Couple questions…

Do you think the coconut extract was too strong for the cake, because you also have the browned coconut pcs too? I was considering vanilla bean cake, lemon curd and toasted coconut on the outside… but perhaps that wouldn’t be enough coconut flavour…. your thoughts?

Lastly… what did you use as the frosting to keep the toasted coconut on? It looks like whipping cream…. ?!?!?

Thanks !!!