Fotography Friday

…Nothing like getting this in at the last possible moment…

As you may have noticed, I’ve been trying to make time for photography in my life. This hobby has a hard time competing with my love of baking. BUT, luckily this blog brings both of those hobbies together into one. I like to think that my new *in April* Nikon D40 DSLR camera has helped my food photography this year. Or just the fact that I’ve made a conscience effort to learn to take better pictures. I’ve taken a couple classes and added quite a few photography blogs to my Google Reader.

Sometime last summer, I was talking with CB (of I heart Food 4 Thought) about cameras. If I remember correctly, she posted something on her blog about cameras or food pictures… So we talked about DSLRs and food photography. Now that she has a DSLR too (a Sony A200), we were talking about trying to learn how to use these dang things without just reading the manual from cover to cover. We decided to take it in small steps and learn together.

If you recall, Steph and Amy started Photo Week which just encourages anyone to get out there and use your camera more, the idea with Fotography Friday is to actually take an advanced topic (that may or may not be available in a P&S) and dig into when the details of these advanced machines that we have. Basically, we’ll pick a topic the first Friday of the month. Then we’ll both do our own research and play around with the topic. Then we’ll post about it before the next topic is revealed. Feel free to join us on our journey. You can post on any Friday throughout the month, or every Friday during the month. Participate as much or little as you’d like. Like I said, the topics may or may not be suited for your camera, but feel free to join and take any interpretation of the topic you want.

Now that you get the idea, here’s the first topic:

FLASH
This topic was motivated by the fact that the days are just TOO SHORT to get any food photographs with natural light (Rule #1 for food photography). I have to admit that I do try to save my baking for the weekends so I can get some good pictures in natural lighting… Or sometimes I save a couple cookies until the weekend just to get a good picture of them. Now we all know it is possible to use the flash and not have everything washed out. It’s possible and in the next month I’m determined to understand how to do it with my camera.

One other thing. I’m double dipping on this. I plan to read through my D40 manual through this blogging event so that I can mark another thing off my list before my next birthday!

If you have a topic you’d like to see in Fotography Friday, please email me.

8 Responses to “Fotography Friday”

Joelen — January 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm

This is such a great idea… and for those who are considering purchasing a DSLR, this will prove to be very helpful too!

Steph — January 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I’m in! I have a Canon Rebel. At one point in time, I’d read most of the manual concurrently with a digital photography book. (yeah, I’m nerdy like that) I found it only helps to know where to change the setting if you know the affect will be on your photo. I can’t wait to brush up and learn some new tricks!! Great idea!

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm

This is a great topic! The flash is so frustrating. Do you want people to share about equipment and hacks that have to do with the flash? I have found that various ways of diffusing/bouncing the flash has the biggest impact on my photos.

As far as your food photos go, have you considered constructing a light box out of white foam core and a couple clip lights? It would allow you to take your photos even at night but still feel bright and cheery! Just an idea. :)

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Amy – feel free to post about whatever you want. The point is to share what you’ve learned about how to make the flash work for you. I’d love to hear what you do when you use your flash.

I have considered a light box. I had one on my Xmas list :) I’m just worried about storing it in our tiny condo. For now, I just wait for daylight but I would like a light box in the future.

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Totally understanding the lightbox storage concerns. I’m thinking that I’m going to get some white foam core from the store today and play with making one that breaks down easily into a flat stack. I’ll post my experiment. :)

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Yea Steph said she was going to make on today. This is the one I had on my Xmas list. I still might get it since it folds up.

Amy Kingman — January 4, 2009 at 1:29 am

Ok, I made a collapsible version of the light box today with your situation in mind. :) Can’t beat that nylon one you’re looking at, but for $6 this one does a pretty good job! Thanks for the challenge! Here’s the light box.

Sara Therese — January 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Jen! This is JUST the kind of help I’ve been looking for when it comes to taking pictures. Great idea for Foto Friday! I’m really excited. :)