Crockpot Tamale Pie Recipe (Bookmarked Recipes)

Last year I hit the 5 year mark at my company. As a thank you, you get to choose a gift. The choices for 5 years aren’t that exciting to most people. But I was excited to see a crockpot on the list (Hubby chose a carry-on suitcase for his). When Hubby and I moved in together, his mother gave us her 20+ year old crockpot. She said she never used it. We have gone through phases over the past 5 years of living together. Some years we used it a lot, others not so much. But with our upcoming kitchen demolition and renovation, we knew the crockpot would start getting more use.

Hubby already broke in the new crockpot for another batch of Ropa Veija the day after I brought it home. But this is the first NEW recipe we’ve made in it.

Crockpot Tamale Pie – from A Year of Crockpotting – serves 6

1 can drained corn
1 Tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup diced onion – I used about 1/3 cup
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese – I used Veggie Shreds Cheddar Flavored Cheese

Spray your crockpot with cooking spray. Dump in the filling ingredients–cheese, too!– and stir well to distribute the spices. You will not be able to stir this again, so please check to see that the spices aren’t in a clump anywhere.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping. When finished, pour evenly over the filling, spreading with a spatula if needed.

Cover and cook on low for 4-7 hours or on high for 2-4. I cooked on high and it took about 2.5 hours.

9 Responses to “PB&J Omelet”

SimplySweeter — June 18, 2010 at 11:29 am

I’m disgusted…….but intrigued. LOL It sounds like it wouldn’t work…but as a fellow PB&J lover, I’m going to try it pretty soon. I wonder how it would all be with chocolate drizzled on top. Too much?? LOL

Sherry G — June 18, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Ahh I should have checked my Google reader before I had breakfast! I was craving a PB&J sandwich, but only had stale bread..=( I ate it anyway.. but this would have been so much better! I need to try this.

Elina — June 18, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Hmm, I’m not sure about this one… 😉

Amanda — June 18, 2010 at 3:31 pm

not gunna lie…thought this was weird but i’m sorta tempted to try it! num nummm, i’m obsessed with pb…so how could it be bad?

hannah! — June 18, 2010 at 3:55 pm

i love pb & j…but im not sure if i’d love it that much on eggs…..

sorry!

Nikki57 — June 18, 2010 at 7:36 pm

When I saw this in my google reader I was like “whoa someone else makes PB&J omlets.” I had posted about them so long ago I forgot, but I’m so happy to have someone else who loves the combo!

Jen — June 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I’m loving all the comments today. Like I always tell Hubby, don’t hate it ’til you try it!

Kerstin — June 19, 2010 at 1:40 am

This is funny because my hubby often eats egg whites with peanut butter on top – apparently it’s a big body builder thing to get the right ratio of fat and protein – haha, so you’re not alone, I can imagine he’d love the jelly with this too!

And I really like your top 30 post – very inspiring!

Cara — June 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I can kind of see how this works! I made pb&j stuffed french toast once, and this is kind of like that, minus the bread. Like a low-carb pb&j! I might have to give it a shot 🙂