12 Days of Cookies – Peppermint Chocolate Cookies

I love the combination of chocolate and peppermint. One of my favorite kinds of candy is the York peppermint patty. So good. It seems like the only time it’s acceptable to bake with peppermint is during the holidays, so you’ll see quite a few peppermint baked goods here over the next couple weeks. I definitely need to make these peppermint cupcakes again. They were yummy! These cookies were just okay in my book. I really enjoy chewey/cakey cookies and these are more firm than that. The chocolate topping is delicious though. I spread some of the leftover topping on some graham crackers for a snack. While they weren’t my favorite, hubby and his coworkers absolutely loved them. I’d definitely make them again. Maybe next time I’ll add a little peppermint extract to the cookie dough…

Peppermint Chocolate Cookies – from Pennies on a Platter – originally from Rachel Ray – I got 28 cookies
1 1/2 stick (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
Two 3.5 -ounce bars dark chocolate, finely chopped – I used dark chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
2/3 cup finely crushed peppermint candy canes or candies

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. With the mixer on low, gradually add the confectioners’ sugar until creamy, then beat in the egg. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt; add to the mixer about one-third at a time, beating at low speed until smooth.

Lay a 16-inch sheet of parchment paper on a work surface; turn out the dough onto the paper. Using your hands, shape the dough into a 12-inch-long cylinder; wrap tightly in the parchment and roll into a smooth, even log. Twist the ends to seal and refrigerate for 30 minutes; reshape the cylinder and refrigerate for 30 minutes more.

Preheat the oven to 350°; line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap the dough; using a sharp knife, slice into 1/3-inch-thick rounds. Place about 1 inch apart on the cookie sheets; bake until firm, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.

In a bowl, combine two-thirds of the chopped chocolate with the oil; microwave for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth. (If needed, heat for additional 10-second intervals.) Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate until smooth.

Using an offset spatula (I used the back of the spoon I used to stir the chocolate), spread a scant teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of each cookie. Sprinkle the peppermints on top and let stand until set, 2 to 3 hours.

My 12 Days of Cookies:Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies
Day 6: Chocolate Chip Snowballs

24 Responses to “Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Goat’s Milk Ice Cream”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 19, 2013 at 8:07 am

This looks amazing, Jen. I think both my husband and I are slowly becoming more lactose intolerant as we get older. Goat milk ice cream may be something we’ll try soon. Can’t wait to see what other non-dairy ice creams you come up with!

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 10:23 am

Thanks! Like I said, coconut milk has been my go-to so far, but it’s definitely fun to try new milk varieties.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — June 19, 2013 at 10:19 am

Looks incredible, I need to find a local goat milk supplier…

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 10:24 am

Yea, I definitely want to find someone local to get my goat milk from. For now, I’m just happy that I can find it at all. Even back in Boston, it wasn’t on the shelf at my grocery store.

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — June 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm

This looks amazing and I love that you used goat milk..so interesting!

bec — June 19, 2013 at 11:03 pm

i had to give up gluten a few months ago and just realized a few weeks ago that i also must give up dairy. i am not sure if it is lactose or casein that i am intolerant of, but i love that you are doing stuff that i may be able to eat someday! (also, we bathe Olive is goat’s milk. it’s great for her eczema!).

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 6:58 am

Going dairy free isn’t too bad honestly.

Oh wow, bathing in goats milk sounds so luxurious!

Nutmeg Nanny — June 20, 2013 at 9:46 am

Oh wow, this looks so perfect! I’d love to try this soon 🙂

Aimee @ Violet Femme — June 24, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Sounds delicious, I’ve not thought about using goats milk in ice cream before but would love to try it!

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:24 pm

You should definitely try it!

Clarissa — June 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Thank you so much for posting this!! I gave up cow dairy in the winter (makes me break out) and have been glaring at my ice cream maker, because sorbets are just not the same and coconut ice cream is good, but so coconutty! I’ve been wondering if I could make ice cream with goat’s milk and now I know I can! The canister just went into the freezer 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Nice – glad I could help. I don’t find coconut milk very coconuty… I assume you drink goat’s milk so you’re familiar with the flavor? It definitely has a distinct taste.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — June 25, 2013 at 2:58 am

Goat milk?? I bet it goes fantastic with chocolate. I love this combination, I can’t wait to try it, yum!!

Mary — July 22, 2013 at 10:42 am

In the ingredients, you say condensed goat milk, but the directions say heavy cream. Which did you mean? Really excited to try out this recipe!

• beantownbaker — July 22nd, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

Sorry about that. I used condensed goat milk, not heavy cream. I’m updating the recipe now.

stone linda — September 4, 2013 at 7:30 am

Hello,
    I want to place an order from you to our store in The Netherlands.I want to know if you can ship here and accept credit card as a form of payment.
    Reply back asap
    Thanks

• beantownbaker — September 4th, 2013 @ 9:27 am

I don’t sell anything.

Eric — September 21, 2013 at 1:15 am

My wife and I raise a couple of dairy breed goats for home milk use. I don’t find that the milk tastes goaty, it’s actually richer and better tasting than cows milk in my opinion. Although before we discovered that we should pasteurize the milk asap after filtering, we did notice a musky kind of taste…… but with pasteurization started within a minute or two after milking, our milk is just as good or better than the flavor of cows milk. I just ordered an icecream maker. We will definitely use this recipe. Thanks for posting it.

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Fresh goat milk is not something I have tried. I would love to get my hands on some though!

Patricia Butler — January 2, 2014 at 9:36 am

I’m looking forward to trying this! We got hooked on Laloo’s goat milk ice cream several years ago, but it’s been increasingly difficult to find, and very expensive ($7.79 a pint as of 2 days ago). It would be great if I could find a homemade alternative.

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:36 pm

I agree – Laloo’s is good, but quite expensive. Let me know what you think of this recipe if you try it out.

Julia — March 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm

GOOD NEWS!! Laloos is filling the pipeline and more flavors are coming soon to you your local Whole Foods store.

Cindy — May 13, 2015 at 8:16 am

I have dairy goats so will toss in my 2 cents worth 😉 Not all goat milk is the same!!! If you like the goaty taste, go ahead and buy your milk at the store. Personally I find the goaty taste vile and disgusting! So for those who want to try goat milk but don’t like that nasty goaty taste, you want raw milk, and the breeds vary in taste a lot. Nigerian Dwarf goats have the highest butterfat and do not have the goaty taste. Their milk is really good! Nubians are second best. It would be worth your while to find a local source of nice raw milk from either of those breeds. Healthier too, as raw milk has all the nutrients nature intended.

LeAnn Harner — July 3, 2016 at 8:23 am

With rare exceptions – goat’s milk should not taste goaty. I can’t comment about grocery store milk, but would urge you and your readers to look for direct-from-the-farm sources. There are a few goats with funny tasting milk – and those work great for making blue cheese! If a goat is healthy, has a good diet with the right balance of vitamins and minerals (very important!), and the milk is handled in a clean manner with quick cooling, it should have a rather sweet taste. I have Nubians and like Cindy above, appreciate the high butterfat. If you’re looking for a milk source – try realmilk.com. There’s also tips there for buying safe milk.