12 Days of Cookies – Lumberjack cookies

I can’t believe it but December is already upon us. It’s time for holiday cookie baking. I’ve decided to join in the 12 Days of Cookies blogging event. It’s not a formal event, Nina just invited anyone who wanted to join in. She is doing a cookie a day. I can’t keep up with that pace (and I’m getting a late start), but I do plan on baking 12 different kinds of cookies before the end of December. The 12 cookie recipes I’ve picked feature some family favorites as well as some new ones. Most food websites have their own lists of holiday cookies right now. Definitely check them out for inspiration.

For the first cookie, I decided to make hubby’s favorite holiday cookie. Lumberjacks. I have no idea why they’re called lumberjacks but he loves them. I don’t doubt that he’d eat the entire batch if I had let him. He wanted to help out today so he offered to take the pictures. Not bad for his first food photo shoot. Nice work Hubby!

Lumberjack Cookies – from my Mother in Law – makes 4-5 dozen
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup dark molasses
2 eggs
4 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger – I couldn’t find our ginger, so I used nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350. Cream sugar & shortening.

Add molasses and unbeaten eggs. Mix well.

Sift together the dry ingredients and stir into the wet.

Put 1/4 c. sugar in a small bowl. Pinch off a ball of dough and roll
into shape/size of a walnut, roll in sugar.

Place on greased cookie sheet and bake 350 for 12-15 min. I used a cookie scoop and got 5 dozen cookies.

You can also put these onto the cookie sheet and freeze to be baked later.

I’m submitting into Joelen’s Cookie Swap Adventure. Check out her blog for all the details.

19 Responses to “Pecan Pie Cookies”

Carrie — October 19, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Wow those look awesome, I am going to have to add these to my cookie idea list which seems to be never ending

Crystal — October 19, 2009 at 2:38 pm

These look delicious! I will have to try them. I have a recipe for pecan pie cake. It’s quick, easy and tastes just like pecan pie.

Joe — October 19, 2009 at 5:36 pm

There is nothing better than a perfect pecan pie. These look great and really easy.

stephchows — October 19, 2009 at 7:59 pm

perfect for a pecan pie addict!

gaga — October 19, 2009 at 8:55 pm

These are such a great idea! One of my favorite pies is pecan, but I can never finish a whole slice because it gets too disgustingly sweet. These are perfect bite-size versions, I love it!

Stephanie Wagner — October 19, 2009 at 9:38 pm

So thoughtful! My dad loves pecan pie, I’ll have to make these for his birthday this winter.

Kat — October 20, 2009 at 12:18 am

What a great way to have pecan pie in moderation :). Sometimes I find pecan pie too sweet so the cookie base is a nice change.

Jigginjessica — October 20, 2009 at 12:31 pm

These look and sound really great! I think these would be a perfect dessert addition to my families Thanksgiving!

nutmegnanny — October 21, 2009 at 4:05 am

These looks great!

Mansi — October 21, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I make these too, aren’t they simply delicious! loved your pic!:)

btw, they’d be perfect for my sweet celebration contest I’d be glad if you could send them in for my blog event!

I’off to check out your giveaway:)

thereddeer — October 24, 2009 at 12:56 am

Yum! My hubby loves pecans so I might have to give these a try one day 🙂

Amethyst — October 25, 2009 at 4:04 pm

These are perfect to add to my cookie bags for holiday gifts! Thank you for sharing!

Tami — November 4, 2009 at 4:17 am

I love pecan pie so I can’t wait to try these little gems. 🙂

How To Eat A Cupcake — November 4, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I totally saw the write up about Baking Gals in Taste of Home! I was so excited! 😉

Tami — November 12, 2009 at 3:54 am

I made these this week for the Clean Plate Club Cookie Carnival. They’ve become a family favorite! Oh my are they good!!

Tari McDonald — November 27, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Jen, you left a comment on my blog asking if I chilled my dough when I made these cookies (responded on my blog, but I’ll do it here, too!). I didn’t chill the dough, altough I think I will last time. Some of my cookies spread too much just making it following the recipe. Thanks for sharing and submitting it for the cookie carnival!

booksncooks — December 11, 2009 at 2:37 am

You saved me this weekend – after being unable to find an ingredient for another recipe, I was in a jam, as all the desserts for my holiday party this weekend had chocolate in them. I remembered I had flagged these cookies to try out – I’ll be making these tomorrow night. Thanks!

Shannon Pivetta — November 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

Does anyone know if these freeze well?

• beantownbaker — November 11th, 2013 @ 9:09 pm

These freeze really well. I’m actually making a batch tomorrow night to freeze until Thanksgiving.