12 Days of Cookies – Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies

I let Hubby chose the last cookie for the 12 Days of Cookies. I gave him a list of 5 that came out of my Google Reader. He chose these chocolate covered cherry cookies. Like I have been doing recently, I made a 1/2 batch of these cookies. Hubby and I have started putting on holiday weight and it’s not even the holidays yet! This blog could be the death of me… I did only got 14 cookies out of my half batch. I used my cookie scoop to portion the dough, so apparently I made mine bigger than the original poster did.

These cookies are very good. I love the two textures of chocolate on them. And the surprise of a cherry in the middle is very good. I will definitely make these again sometime. Since they’re not overly holiday-ey they could be made any time of the year.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies – from A Good Appetite
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 t vanilla
24 maraschino cherries
1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips – I used a mix of semisweet & bittersweet
1/4 c sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder & salt together, set aside.

In a mixer beat the butter until softened. Add the sugar & cream until like & fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture & beat until well mixed.

Roll the dough into 1-inch balls & place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheets. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each cookie.

Drain the cherries reserving the juice. Remove the stems & cut the cherries in half. Place 1/2 of a cherry into the indentation in each cookie.

Put the chocolate chips & condensed milk in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until the chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the cherry juice. Spoon 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of chocolate over the top of each cherry covering it completely. If the chocolate is too thick add a little more cherry juice.

Bake for 10 minutes & cool on a rack.

These cookies will freeze well. Individually freeze them on a cookie sheet. Once frozen place them in a box with wax paper between layers then back into the freezer.

My 12 Days of Cookies:Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies
Day 6: Chocolate Chip Snowballs
Day 7: Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
Day 8: Snickerdoodles
Day 9: Candy Cane & Mint Kiss Cookies
Day 10: Chocolate Peppermint Meringue Cookies
Day 11: Butter Ball Cookies

9 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars”

newlywed — September 6, 2010 at 12:42 pm

As a teacher, I still get nervous for the first day of school! Same butterflies in my tummy I had for the first day of high school 🙂
    The look SO yummy, hope to try making them soon.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm

The flavor combination of PB&J always brings me back to my childhood. I loved the first day of school – new outfit, new backpack and school supplies…

Krystal — September 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Yum these look great Jen!! I totally agree on adding more jelly or jam to these…the ooey gooey of PB sticks to the roof of my mouth. Make sure to have milk if these bars are made! LOL

Ashley — September 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Tomorrow marks the first day of my eight year of teaching so I love your back to school post. I am bookmarking this recipe, love PB & J!

Boston Food Diary — September 7, 2010 at 1:40 am

I have been obsessed with peanut butter lately and these look simply amazing….even if I’m not headed back to school! Yum!

Eliana — September 7, 2010 at 3:22 am

These bars looks absolutely perfect.

My favorite part of going back to school was (and I know I’m a nerd for saying this) was using new school supplies. My mom always got us the best pens, pencils, folders, binders, erasers…you name it. And whipping them out the first week of class was the best feeling ever.

nutmegnanny — September 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

This looks perfect for the back to school season! I’m a nanny so I know the little I watch would love to make these for herself and friends. I guess I know what we are doing tonight 🙂

Cupcake Activist — September 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm

This is very similar to my favorite workout bar–Clif Mojo Peanut Butter & Jelly. Maybe I can start saving money and make my own bars. Thanks!

We Are Not Martha — September 7, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’ve made something similar before, but these look SO good my stomach is grumbling 🙂 Definitely bookmarking for soon! I miss the new outfits and seeing who’s in all your classes 🙂

Sues