12 Days of Cookies – Butter Ball Cookies

These cookies are very similar to the Chocolate Chip Snowballs I made on Day 6 of my 12 Days of Cookies, except they have no chocolate chips in them. I found this dough to be way too crumbly to form into balls. I had to add a little over a teaspoon of water to the dough to be able to work with it. These are one of my stepmom’s favorite holiday cookies, so I decided to add it to the 12 Days of Cookies. Again, I made a 1/2 batch and I got 12 cookies.

I took these to work and brought them to my last day of Spanish class (yes, I’m trying to learn Spanish. If anyone knows Spanish and wants to help me practice, let me know!) Our professor told us to bring treats if we wanted. My class only has 5 people in it, so this half batch provided the perfect number of cookies.

Butter Ball Cookies – from Cooks.com – makes 2 dozen1 1/2 c. nuts – I used walnuts
1 c. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 c. soft butter
1/4 tsp. salt
Powdered sugar

Chop nuts very fine. Put into mixing bowl.

Add all remaining ingredients (I creamed the butter and sugar, then added the rest of the ingredients and stirred by hand). Chill dough 1/2 hour.

Form dough 1 inch into balls. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes or until set (not brown).

Cool and roll in powdered sugar. Makes 2 dozen cookies.

My 12 Days of Cookies:Day 1: Lumberjacks
Day 2: Peppermint Sandies
Day 3: The great Sugar Cookie Debate
Day 4: Fudge
Day 5: Cranberry Orange Cookies
Day 6: Chocolate Chip Snowballs
Day 7: Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
Day 8: Snickerdoodles
Day 9: Candy Cane  & Mint Kiss Cookies
Day 10: Chocolate Peppermint Meringue Cookies

9 Responses to “Strawberry Rhubarb Pie”

Lauren — June 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

Fantastic job with the lattice top! The pie looks awesome :).

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — June 29, 2010 at 1:25 pm

It does look really pretty. I’ve never had the patience to do a lattice top. It sounds delicious!

Sherry G — June 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I’m furious with myself for still never having a rhubarb pie! This is truly a good looking pie; very rustic and pretty!

bcallegra — June 30, 2010 at 1:43 am

Truly a work of art! I’m kind of intimidated by pies so I’m in awe of your pie making skills. That pie looks like it’s ready for a magazine cover! 🙂

nutmegnanny — June 30, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my favorites 🙂

Jen — July 3, 2010 at 1:21 am

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Mine is in the oven as I type. Hopefully, it comes out half as good as yours!

Jenni @ Project Cookie 365 — July 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I just have to thank you for this recipe!! It’s the first time I’ve made a pie that wasn’t all runny when cut. I was so happy to have pieces that stayed intact!!
    Also, I didn’t need the foil at any point – the crust didn’t overbrown, it was just perfect.
    I’ll be using this again and again!

Victoria — March 30, 2011 at 6:39 pm

can i omit rhubarb and just put strawberries? will it make a difference?

beantownbaker — March 31, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I haven’t tried using this recipe with just strawberries. You might want to cut back on some of the sugar. Rhubarb is very tart, so you always have to put a lot of sugar into rhubarb recipes.