Two pies in One pie pan Experiment Results

Here’s my double pie straight out of the oven. Isn’t it pretty?!?

I know everyone is wondering what happened last night after the double pie went into the oven. I ended up baking the double pie for about an hour. The crust that was folded over in the middle didn’t quite bake all the way through, but when I make the pie for the contest, it obviously won’t have that problem.

I let them cool for about 2 hours before cutting into them. Hubby got home from work REALLY late and we had a small piece to try them out. I was glad to see that both pies were baked through.

The pear and cranberry pie was tasted first. The baked pears were delicious but we both thought the cranberries were too tart. The bites without cranberry were heavenly though. I would definitely make this again with maybe dried cranberries or cooked cranberries? Any suggestions? Katie – did I do something wrong? I could still use this recipe for the contest if I needed to, but it would need some work…

Next came the squash pie. OH my goodness this was very good. Very unique and creative. I don’t really know how to describe it. Except imagine a pie that’s made by heating up some butternut squash, then adding some pears, dried cranberries, walnuts, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. After the sugar melts, you stir it all up. The sugar makes this amazing gooey glaze over everything else. Like I said before, I wanted to eat the filling with a spoon. It’s a very good, unexpected fall pie.

So as you may have guess, we both voted for the squash pie. We’re taking the rest of the double pie over to our friend’s house tomorrow so we’ll get their votes too. I’ll also see how the pies hold up over night since I’ll be baking them Sunday night and the contest is Monday at 1:00. And yes, I did consider staying home from work Monday morning to bake, but I thought that would be a bit extreme…

17 Responses to “M&M Cookies to Celebrate Valentine’s Day”

Carrie — February 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm

I love freezing dough but somehow most ends up in my tummy unbaked when I do that ๐Ÿ™‚

oneordinaryday — February 12, 2010 at 2:40 pm

What a great gift! I’m thinking that would be wonderful for all sorts of occasions. Thanks for the idea!

Carly — February 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm

These are adorable and I love that idea! Two questions, though: 1) Were these as good as the cookies from the other recipes? and 2) When you freeze them, do you bake right from frozen?

Jen — February 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Great questions Carly – As far as comparing them to the other cookies. I enjoyed the chocolate M&M cookies the best, but they were REALLY chocolatey. The other non-chocolate M&M cookies were a bit more chewy and they had nuts in them, so they had a different vibe. This recipe was more of a classic M&M cookie for sure.

As far as baking from frozen, you can def just go straight from freezer to oven. Bake them ~13 minutes instead of ~11 and take them out when they look done.

Cara — February 12, 2010 at 5:18 pm

these were delicious!

stephchows — February 12, 2010 at 5:35 pm

they look so cute all frozen up ๐Ÿ™‚

Leanne — February 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I love the pink and red M&Ms. Thanks for the idea of freezing the cookie dough.

Memรณria — February 12, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I was going to ask you the same thing as Carly, well the first question. These cookies are cute. Your freezing method reminded me that I have a bunch of sugar cookies still in the freezer! Do you know how long cookies can stay in the freezer?

Jen — February 12, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I don’t know how long they will last in the freezer. I have a tendency to forget about things in my freezer… I’d guess a couple months? Anyone have ideas?

nutmegnanny — February 12, 2010 at 9:43 pm

What festive little cookies ๐Ÿ™‚ I love them! I also like the fact that you froze them. I bet they were delicious. Make sure to enter the All Through the Year Cheer event for Valentine’s Day ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie — February 13, 2010 at 4:49 am

I think that sounds like a great way to spend valentine’s day. It can be intimidating the way it’s so hyped up. The cookies look very festive, love ’em!

Vivian - Let's Try These... — February 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm

We don’t do “valentine’s day” either since my MIL was born on the 14th and daughter’s birthday is the 15th – besides, its more important to say you love someone everyday, not just one day out of the year. Love the idea about freezing the cookie dough in preshaped form and giving that away. Wonderful idea!

Deborah Dowd — February 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I am looking for cookies that travel well for my soldier adopted through Soldier’s Angels and these look like a winner!!

Kerstin — February 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Mmm, these were so tasty! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) — February 16, 2010 at 9:54 pm

These are just too cute!! I love M&M cookies too!!

bcallegra — February 17, 2010 at 1:13 am

Just had to add my two cents on the idea of giving cookie dough frozen and ready to be baked – genius! For some reason, I’ve never thought of that, even though I’ve given cookies frozen to people to be defrosted when they’re ready to eat. I love the dough idea!

Megan — February 20, 2010 at 2:16 am

YUM-these look absolutely delicious! I love the pink and red M&Ms!